Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Ministers to demand softer Brexit as Cabinet meets for first time

Theresa May's new Cabinet is meeting for the first time since the election, with some ministers poised to demand a softer Brexit policy.

But the Cabinet Brexiteers have been boosted by the return of Michael Gove, in a move seen as a bid to protect the Prime Minister from a leadership challenge.

:: The reshuffle: Who's in, out and who's moved sideways

"I genuinely didn't expect this role," he told Sky News. "I am delighted to be part of the Government.

"I am delighted to be able to support Theresa May to ensure that we have a Government capable of delivering on the people's wishes.

The other major change is the promotion of Mrs May's close ally Damian Green to First Secretary of State, making him a Deputy Prime Minister in all but name.

Speaking after completing her reshuffle, Mrs May said: "What I've done today is seen people from across the party accepting the invitation to be in my Cabinet and crucially I have brought in talent from across the whole of the Conservative Party."

And on her own future, she said: "I said during the election campaign that if re-elected I would intend to serve a full term.

"But what I'm doing now is actually getting on with the immediate job. But I think that's what's important, I think that's what the public would expect."

No comments:

Post a Comment