Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 12, 2016

Drone 'Kills IS's Afghanistan And Pakistan Leader'

The leader of Islamic State in Afghanistan and Pakistan has been killed by a US drone strike, a top Afghan diplomat has said.
The hit on Hafiz Saeed Khan in eastern Afghanistan was revealed by the country's ambassador to Pakistan.
A spokesman for the US military in Afghanistan said they are investigating a report a local IS leader is dead but they cannot yet confirm if it is true.
But unnamed US defence officials told Reuters and AFP the IS leader had indeed been killed.
An official told AFP: "They got him."
Afghan Ambassador Omar Zakhilwal told Reuters: "I can confirm that ISIS Khurasan leader Hafiz Saeed Khan along with his senior commanders and fighters died in a US drone strike on July 26 in Kot district of Afghanistan's Nangharhar province."
Kot District in Afghanistan has been patrolled by Afghan security forces. File picture
Kot District in Afghanistan has been patrolled by Afghan security forces. File picture
Khan, a former member of the Pakistani branch of the Taliban, had sworn allegiance to Middle East-based Islamic State.
He was earlier reported killed last year but the death was never confirmed.
If confirmed, Khan's death would strike a blow to efforts by Middle East-based Islamic State to expand its territory and its jihadist push into Afghanistan and Pakistan.
It would be the second death of a prominent jihadist in the region in months.
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour was killed by a US airstrike strike in Pakistan in May.

Drone 'Kills IS's Afghanistan And Pakistan Leader'

The leader of Islamic State in Afghanistan and Pakistan has been killed by a US drone strike, a top Afghan diplomat has said.
The hit on Hafiz Saeed Khan in eastern Afghanistan was revealed by the country's ambassador to Pakistan.
A spokesman for the US military in Afghanistan said they are investigating a report a local IS leader is dead but they cannot yet confirm if it is true.
But unnamed US defence officials told Reuters and AFP the IS leader had indeed been killed.
An official told AFP: "They got him."
Afghan Ambassador Omar Zakhilwal told Reuters: "I can confirm that ISIS Khurasan leader Hafiz Saeed Khan along with his senior commanders and fighters died in a US drone strike on July 26 in Kot district of Afghanistan's Nangharhar province."
Kot District in Afghanistan has been patrolled by Afghan security forces. File picture
Kot District in Afghanistan has been patrolled by Afghan security forces. File picture
Khan, a former member of the Pakistani branch of the Taliban, had sworn allegiance to Middle East-based Islamic State.
He was earlier reported killed last year but the death was never confirmed.
If confirmed, Khan's death would strike a blow to efforts by Middle East-based Islamic State to expand its territory and its jihadist push into Afghanistan and Pakistan.
It would be the second death of a prominent jihadist in the region in months.
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour was killed by a US airstrike strike in Pakistan in May.

Victor Meldrew Actor Richard Wilson Suffers Heart Attack

One Foot In The Grave actor Richard Wilson is in a stable condition in hospital after suffering a heart attack, says his agent.
The 80-year-old had a cardiac arrest on Wednesday afternoon, confirmed John Grant. 
The Scottish actor has cancelled his 12-night Edinburgh Festival Fringe show, in which he was to revive the curmudgeonly character he played on the BBC sitcom.
The one-man show was billed, I Don't Believe It! An Evening With Victor Meldrew, starting on 16 August.
Victor Meldrew actor Richard Wilson
Wilson also appeared in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em and Doctor Who 
The show's promoters, Assembly, said in a statement: "Due to ill health, Richard Wilson has taken the decision to take some time out."
Wilson played Meldrew for six series between 1990 and 2000, twice winning Best Light Entertainment Performance at the TV Baftas.
The world-weary pensioner was killed off in the final episode.
Greenock-born Wilson also appeared in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Doctor Who and BBC fantasy drama Merlin.

Victor Meldrew Actor Richard Wilson Suffers Heart Attack

One Foot In The Grave actor Richard Wilson is in a stable condition in hospital after suffering a heart attack, says his agent.
The 80-year-old had a cardiac arrest on Wednesday afternoon, confirmed John Grant. 
The Scottish actor has cancelled his 12-night Edinburgh Festival Fringe show, in which he was to revive the curmudgeonly character he played on the BBC sitcom.
The one-man show was billed, I Don't Believe It! An Evening With Victor Meldrew, starting on 16 August.
Victor Meldrew actor Richard Wilson
Wilson also appeared in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em and Doctor Who 
The show's promoters, Assembly, said in a statement: "Due to ill health, Richard Wilson has taken the decision to take some time out."
Wilson played Meldrew for six series between 1990 and 2000, twice winning Best Light Entertainment Performance at the TV Baftas.
The world-weary pensioner was killed off in the final episode.
Greenock-born Wilson also appeared in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Doctor Who and BBC fantasy drama Merlin.

Court Ruling Bars Thousands Of Members From Labour Contest

Labour's ruling body has won its bid to block 130,000 new party members from voting in the leadership election.
The Court of Appeal ruled the party was within its rights to block members who joined after 12 January from voting in the contest.

It overturned a test case ruling on Monday in favour of five members who said they were unlawfully "frozen out" from voting in the contest.
Lord Justice Beatson, sitting with Lady Justice Macur and Lord Justice Sales, announced the decision this afternoon.
"On the correct interpretation of the party rules, the National Executive Committee has the power to set the criteria for members to be eligible to vote in the leadership election in the way that it did," Lord Justice Beatson said.
The decision could be seen as a boost for Owen Smith, who is taking on Jeremy Corbyn in the contest.
There have been suggestions the majority of the recruits barred from voting would have backed Mr Corbyn.
When asked if he was celebrating the court ruling, Mr Smith told Sky News: "No, not at all. 
"I am here in Corby in the east of England, talking to party members and I will carry on doing what I am doing which is getting out there, making my case."
He added that the NEC is the "correct body" to set the rules for the party.
"I don't think by and large we should be in the courts debating these things," he said.
A spokesman for Mr Corbyn said the decision was wrong, "both legally and democratically".
The spokesman said: "Crucial to the outcome today was the introduction of a new argument by the Labour Party HQ's lawyers.
"They invoked an obscure clause in the Labour Party rules (Chapter 4, Clause II, 1.A), which could be read as giving the NEC the right to ignore all of the rules laid out for leadership elections.
"In other words, this is a 'make it up as you go along' rule. We do not think that making it up as you go along is a reasonable way to conduct democracy in our party.
"Serious questions must be raised, however, over why and how the NEC Procedures Committee brought this appeal.
Owen Smith and Jeremy Corbyn
Owen Smith and Jeremy Corbyn
"In doing so, it effectively risked new members' money on an attempt to disenfranchise them."
The High Court declared on Monday that refusing five members the vote would be an unlawful breach of the party's contract.
Lawyers for the five had argued that the NEC had no power to retrospectively freeze a full member's ability to vote.
The NEC said in a statement that it "welcomed" the decision.
It added: "It is crucial to the Labour Party that our governing body has the authority to debate, decide and implement the procedures, timetable and voting eligibility for our internal elections and selections.
 
"The original Court decision had wide-ranging implications for the party and the authority of our governing body. It was the correct decision to seek clarification on this fundamental principle in the Court of Appeal."

Bollywood Star Shah Rukh Khan Detained By US Immigration

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan has shared his frustration at being stopped by immigration officers "every damn time" he visits the US.
The actor, also known simply as SRK, was stopped at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) - the third time he has been detained on arrival in the US.
He tweeted to his 20.7 million followers: "I fully understand & respect security with the way the world is, but to be detained at US immigration every damn time really really sucks."
Senior US officials apologised to the Chennai Express star on social media, including US ambassador to India Richard Verma, who tweeted: "Sorry for the trouble at LAX @iamsrk. We are working to ensure it doesn't happen again. Your work inspires millions, including in the US."
Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia Nisha Biswal tweeted: "Sorry for the hassle at the airport, @iamsrk - even American diplomats get pulled for extra screening!"
Khan, who has appeared in more than 80 films, including some of the biggest grossing Bollywood hits of all time, said the delay had been "a tad inconvenient".
But he was happy to make light of his predicament, tweeting: "The brighter side is while waiting caught some really nice Pokemons."
In 2012 Khan was stopped at an airport in White Plains, New York, and in 2009 he was detained for two hours at Newark airport.
Celebrities and top officials in India are routinely given special treatment and avoid routine security checks.
It is not clear why Khan, a Muslim, was detained or for how long.

Thai Resorts Rocked By Deadly Bomb Blasts

At least four people have been killed and more than 30 people injured in a series of blasts targeting tourist resorts in Thailand.
A wave of bombings were carried out in four main locations, with witnesses reporting at the site of one attack the devices had been hidden in plant pots.
They are believed to have been detonated remotely using mobile phones.
Popular tourist destinations have been targeted in the attacks
Popular tourist destinations have been targeted in the attacks
Investigators found ball-bearings at the scene which they think were put in the bombs to cause maximum injury.
Thai police said they had intelligence pointing to imminent attacks, but did not have details of when and where they would be carried out.
Following the blasts, the British embassy has updated its travel advice and warned holidaymakers there to "exercise extreme caution" and to avoid public places.
There are currently no indications that any Britons have been hurt in the explosions, although tourists from Germany, Italy, Austria and the Netherlands are among the injured.
Police in Thailand have blamed the attacks on "local sabotage".
Among the locations targeted included the popular tourist destination of Hua Hin and on the island of Phuket.
Hua Hin is famous as a regular retreat of the Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who lives there in the Klai Kangwon Royal Palace, which translates as "Far from Worries Palace".
is a popular among both Thai and foreign holidaymakers.
Less than a week ago, Thais voted in a referendum to adopt a military-backed constitution.

It is being seen as the first test at the ballot box for Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who seized power in a coup in May 2014.
For much of the past decade, Thailand has been plagued by political violence including bombings.
The latest blasts will come as a blow to the country's tourism industry, already hit by a bomb attack on a Bangkok shrine nearly a year ago.
Hua Hin Adventure Tours guide Natsupa Dechapanya said: "This ruins business. Hotels, restaurants, tours, we were already suffering, but this, it's going to ruin our lives."
She added: "This is the first time this has happened in Hua Hin. We think of this as a safe town, but now everyone is fearful. We feel like we're not safe."
Britons make more than one million visits to Thailand every year, according to the Foreign Office.
However, there are no current indications that any UK citizens were involved in the recent blasts.