Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Boko Haram video 'shows missing Chibok girls'

The Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram has released a video purporting to show some of the kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls.
Some 50 girls wearing headscarves are seen behind a Boko Haram militant who demands the release of fighters in return for the release of the girls.
The group seized 276 girls from their school in the northern town of Chibok, of which 219 are believed to remain in captivity. 
This is the third video said to show the girls since they were captured.

'Kiss-In' At Sainsbury's After Gay Couple Ejected

Around 200 protesters have staged a mass 'kiss-in' at a Sainsbury's Local store after a gay couple were told to leave the supermarket by a security guard.
Thomas Rees, 32, and Joshua Bradwell, 25, were ejected from a branch in Hackney, east London, after a customer complained about them holding hands.
On Saturday evening, shoppers appeared puzzled as the scores of gay men and women holding rainbow flags and speaker systems filled the aisles before starting a countdown to the 'kiss-in'.
Mr Rees and Mr Bradwell thanked their supporters and said the number of people who turned out to support them was "absolutely insane".
Mr Rees added: "We were right to be holding hands because when someone questions your behaviour in such a direct manner you can't help but analyse how you are perceived by society.
Thomas Rees (left) and Joshua Bradwell returned to the store to join the protest
Thomas Rees (left) and Joshua Bradwell returned to the store to join the show of affection
"When your community come behind and say 'you were right and you are right', all that does is amplify your feelings. We were right to complain and do what we've done and fight those people who said we were wrong."
At least one member of the public shouted at the group to "get off my street", but the protesters carried on undeterred.
A spokesperson for the store, who laid on biscuits and water for the protesters, said: "It's been a really great event and an important opportunity for the community to show their support.
"We do our best to make sure everyone feels welcome in our stores but occasionally we make mistakes.
"We are working hard to make sure lessons are learnt."

Imam And Aide Shot Dead After Leaving Mosque


The leader of a New York City mosque and an assistant have been shot dead by a gunman who managed to escape after the killings.
Imam Maulama Akonjee, 55, and 64-year-old Thara Uddin left the Al Furqan Jame mosque in the Ozone Park section of Queens shortly before 2pm on Saturday after afternoon prayers.
The pair were walking together along a street when the lone gunman approached them from behind and shot them in the head at close range, police said.
Both men were rushed to hospital but died "while life-saving procedures were being performed", a hospital spokesman said.
Police said no motive has yet been established and no arrests have been made.
Community members gather at the spot where the shootings took place
'The community's heart is totally broken,' said one worshipper
Tiffany Phillips, a spokeswoman for the New York City Police Department, said no evidence has been uncovered to suggest the two men were shot because of their faith.
Even so, police were not ruling out any possibility, she added.
Some members of the Bangladeshi community served by the mosque said they want the shootings to be treated as a hate crime.
Scores of people attending a rally last night at the scene of the shooting chanted "We want justice!"
One worshipper, Millat Uddin, said he felt the community had been targeted.
A crowd of community members gather at the place where Imam Maulama Akonjee was killed
There were calls for 'justice' to be done at a rally after the shootings
"Somebody has taken the law in their own hands," said Mr Uddin, who is not related to Thara Uddin. "We feel really insecure and unsafe in a moment like this."
Mr Uddin said Mr Akonjee had led the mosque for about two years.
"The community's heart is totally broken," he said. "It's a great misery. It's a great loss to the community and it's a great loss to the society."
Afaf Nasher, executive director of the Muslim advocacy group's New York chapter, said in a statement: "The perpetrator of these senseless killings must be swiftly apprehended and face the full force of the law."
The suspect was described by police as having a medium complexion and dressed in shorts and dark polo shirt.
He was seen by witnesses fleeing the scene with a gun in his hand.

Imam And Aide Shot Dead After Leaving Mosque


The leader of a New York City mosque and an assistant have been shot dead by a gunman who managed to escape after the killings.
Imam Maulama Akonjee, 55, and 64-year-old Thara Uddin left the Al Furqan Jame mosque in the Ozone Park section of Queens shortly before 2pm on Saturday after afternoon prayers.
The pair were walking together along a street when the lone gunman approached them from behind and shot them in the head at close range, police said.
Both men were rushed to hospital but died "while life-saving procedures were being performed", a hospital spokesman said.
Police said no motive has yet been established and no arrests have been made.
Community members gather at the spot where the shootings took place
'The community's heart is totally broken,' said one worshipper
Tiffany Phillips, a spokeswoman for the New York City Police Department, said no evidence has been uncovered to suggest the two men were shot because of their faith.
Even so, police were not ruling out any possibility, she added.
Some members of the Bangladeshi community served by the mosque said they want the shootings to be treated as a hate crime.
Scores of people attending a rally last night at the scene of the shooting chanted "We want justice!"
One worshipper, Millat Uddin, said he felt the community had been targeted.
A crowd of community members gather at the place where Imam Maulama Akonjee was killed
There were calls for 'justice' to be done at a rally after the shootings
"Somebody has taken the law in their own hands," said Mr Uddin, who is not related to Thara Uddin. "We feel really insecure and unsafe in a moment like this."
Mr Uddin said Mr Akonjee had led the mosque for about two years.
"The community's heart is totally broken," he said. "It's a great misery. It's a great loss to the community and it's a great loss to the society."
Afaf Nasher, executive director of the Muslim advocacy group's New York chapter, said in a statement: "The perpetrator of these senseless killings must be swiftly apprehended and face the full force of the law."
The suspect was described by police as having a medium complexion and dressed in shorts and dark polo shirt.
He was seen by witnesses fleeing the scene with a gun in his hand.

Imam And Aide Shot Dead After Leaving Mosque


The leader of a New York City mosque and an assistant have been shot dead by a gunman who managed to escape after the killings.
Imam Maulama Akonjee, 55, and 64-year-old Thara Uddin left the Al Furqan Jame mosque in the Ozone Park section of Queens shortly before 2pm on Saturday after afternoon prayers.
The pair were walking together along a street when the lone gunman approached them from behind and shot them in the head at close range, police said.
Both men were rushed to hospital but died "while life-saving procedures were being performed", a hospital spokesman said.
Police said no motive has yet been established and no arrests have been made.
Community members gather at the spot where the shootings took place
'The community's heart is totally broken,' said one worshipper
Tiffany Phillips, a spokeswoman for the New York City Police Department, said no evidence has been uncovered to suggest the two men were shot because of their faith.
Even so, police were not ruling out any possibility, she added.
Some members of the Bangladeshi community served by the mosque said they want the shootings to be treated as a hate crime.
Scores of people attending a rally last night at the scene of the shooting chanted "We want justice!"
One worshipper, Millat Uddin, said he felt the community had been targeted.
A crowd of community members gather at the place where Imam Maulama Akonjee was killed
There were calls for 'justice' to be done at a rally after the shootings
"Somebody has taken the law in their own hands," said Mr Uddin, who is not related to Thara Uddin. "We feel really insecure and unsafe in a moment like this."
Mr Uddin said Mr Akonjee had led the mosque for about two years.
"The community's heart is totally broken," he said. "It's a great misery. It's a great loss to the community and it's a great loss to the society."
Afaf Nasher, executive director of the Muslim advocacy group's New York chapter, said in a statement: "The perpetrator of these senseless killings must be swiftly apprehended and face the full force of the law."
The suspect was described by police as having a medium complexion and dressed in shorts and dark polo shirt.
He was seen by witnesses fleeing the scene with a gun in his hand.

Imam And Aide Shot Dead After Leaving Mosque


The leader of a New York City mosque and an assistant have been shot dead by a gunman who managed to escape after the killings.
Imam Maulama Akonjee, 55, and 64-year-old Thara Uddin left the Al Furqan Jame mosque in the Ozone Park section of Queens shortly before 2pm on Saturday after afternoon prayers.
The pair were walking together along a street when the lone gunman approached them from behind and shot them in the head at close range, police said.
Both men were rushed to hospital but died "while life-saving procedures were being performed", a hospital spokesman said.
Police said no motive has yet been established and no arrests have been made.
Community members gather at the spot where the shootings took place
'The community's heart is totally broken,' said one worshipper
Tiffany Phillips, a spokeswoman for the New York City Police Department, said no evidence has been uncovered to suggest the two men were shot because of their faith.
Even so, police were not ruling out any possibility, she added.
Some members of the Bangladeshi community served by the mosque said they want the shootings to be treated as a hate crime.
Scores of people attending a rally last night at the scene of the shooting chanted "We want justice!"
One worshipper, Millat Uddin, said he felt the community had been targeted.
A crowd of community members gather at the place where Imam Maulama Akonjee was killed
There were calls for 'justice' to be done at a rally after the shootings
"Somebody has taken the law in their own hands," said Mr Uddin, who is not related to Thara Uddin. "We feel really insecure and unsafe in a moment like this."
Mr Uddin said Mr Akonjee had led the mosque for about two years.
"The community's heart is totally broken," he said. "It's a great misery. It's a great loss to the community and it's a great loss to the society."
Afaf Nasher, executive director of the Muslim advocacy group's New York chapter, said in a statement: "The perpetrator of these senseless killings must be swiftly apprehended and face the full force of the law."
The suspect was described by police as having a medium complexion and dressed in shorts and dark polo shirt.
He was seen by witnesses fleeing the scene with a gun in his hand.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Kenny Baker, Star Wars R2-D2 actor, dies aged 81

British actor Kenny Baker, who starred as R2-D2 in six Star Wars films, has died aged 81 after a long illness, his niece has confirmed.
Baker became a household name in 1977 when he took on the role of the robot R2-D2 in the first Star Wars film.
He went on to appear with Anthony Daniels' C-3PO character in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, as well as the three prequels.
Born in Birmingham, Baker's other films include Time Bandits and Flash Gordon. 

Fan conventions

The 3ft 8in (1.12m) actor began performing in 1950 at the age of 16, working as a circus clown, nightclub performer and in pantomime.
In later years he has appeared at Star Wars fan conventions across the world.
Despite the fame R2-D2 brought him, Baker told the BBC in 2001 that his own favourite screen role was as Fidgit in 1981's Time Bandits.
"The director Terry Gilliam's such a nutcase, he's so enthusiastic, you can't help enjoy it. It was just a fun film to make," he said.
A father of two, Baker lived in Preston. His wife Eileen died in 1993.