Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Justin Bieber Shuts Instagram Account After Row With Ex Selena Gomez

Pop star Justin Bieber has disappeared from Instagram after an online war of words with former girlfriend Selena Gomez.
The Canadian singer has 77.8 million followers of his account on the photo and video-sharing site, but it has now seemingly been deleted or suspended.
Instagram users are instead met by the message: "Sorry, this page isn't available."
The 22-year-old threatened to make his Instagram private following comments to some of his posts, which sparked a row with Gomez, 24.
Bieber had shared a series of images of himself with his apparent girlfriend Sofia Richie, 17, who is the daughter of singer Lionel Richie.
The Canadian singer appears to have disabled his Instagram account
The Canadian singer now appears to have disabled his Instagram account
When fans posted negative messages alongside the images, he wrote: "I'm gonna make my Instagram private if you guys don't stop the hate this is getting out of hand, if you guys are really fans you wouldn't be so mean to people that I like."
Gomez then apparently joined in, writing: "If you can't handle the hate then stop posting pictures of your girlfriend lol - it should be special between you two only.
"Don't be mad at your fans. They love you. They were there for you before anyone."
Bieber then seemed to hit back, with screen grabs of the comments showing him saying: "It's funny to see people that used me for attention and still try to point the finger this way. Sad. All love.
"I'm not one for anyone receiving hate. Hope u all can be kind to my friends and each other. And yes I love my beliebers."
The row led to the hashtag #SelenaEndedJustinParty trending on social media sites.
After the row, Gomez shared a Snapchat post with the words: "What I said was selfish and pointless."
The singer still has active Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Bieber is the latest star to quit social media.
Rihanna took six months away from Instagram in 2014 after the site shut her account when she posted topless pictures.
British singer Ed Sheeran announced he was taking a sabbatical from all social media in December, claiming he has had enough of "seeing the world through a screen".

Fifteen Guantanamo Bay Detainees Transferred To UAE

Fifteen Guantanamo Bay detainees have been transferred to the United Arab Emirates as the US steps up its efforts to close the facility.
The latest transfers - which included men from Yemen and Afghanistan - bring the remaining population down to 61.
Since the 11 September, 2001 attacks, around 780 inmates have been housed in the US military-run facility.
The Pentagon has previously struggled to find a third country to take Yemeni detainees because of the civil war in their nation.
"The United States is grateful to the government of the United Arab Emirates for its humanitarian gesture and willingness to support ongoing US efforts to close Guantanamo," the Pentagon said in a statement.
Once transferred, former inmates are usually freed subject to supervision and undergoing rehabilitation.
"It's a significant repudiation of the idea that Guantanamo is going to be open for business for the indefinite future," said Naureen Shah, Amnesty International USA's security and human rights program director.
Barack Obama urgently wants to close the facility before he leaves office at the start of next year, but his efforts have been hampered by Republican politicians.

Trump Calls For 'Extreme Vetting' Of Immigrants To US

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has called for "extreme vetting" of immigrants to the US.

During a foreign policy speech in the swing state of Ohio, Mr Trump said the proposal would require a temporary halt in immigration from dangerous regions of the world.

He said that under his presidency, the State Department and Homeland Security Department would create a list of blacklisted regions for travel to the US.

Mr Trump, who has previously pledged to ban Muslims from entering the US, vowed to block those who sympathise with extremist groups or who fail to embrace American values.

His campaign aides said a new ideological test for admission to the US would vet applicants for their stance on issues such as religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights.



Monday, August 15, 2016

Owen Smith: Tories Have 'Secret Plans To Privatise NHS'

Labour leadership candidate Owen Smith has accused the Tories of planning to privatise the NHS ahead of a major speech on the health service.
He plans to use Department of Health (DH) figures to show the amount spent on private sector health services has more than doubled to 7.6% of the NHS budget since the Conservatives came to power in 2010.
Mr Smith will accuse Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt of "covering-up" the true level of private sector spending after initial estimates for 2014/15 were revised up by more than a billion pounds.
He will also draw attention to recommendations from regulator NHS Improvement - set up by Mr Hunt - which say private sector providers are being "under-utilised".
Mr Smith said: "It is now clear that Theresa May has given Jeremy Hunt the green light to start privatising our health service.
"Within days of his reappointment as Health Secretary he had officials drawing up secret plans to privatise the NHS.
"Like many families across Britain my family is relying on the health service at this very moment.
"The NHS is our country's most valued institution, and people will be shocked to hear that the Tories have been putting together a secret plan to privatise it.
"We all rightly contribute to the NHS through our taxes, but we must make sure that money is spent on doctors and nurses, and not lining the pockets of private sector shareholders.
"It just goes to show you can't trust the Tories with our NHS. Under their rule it is in crisis yet again, with waiting lists growing and hospitals dangerously understaffed."
At the event in Salford, Greater Manchester, Mr Smith will pledge to halt Tory "privatisation" and health reforms, while boosting NHS spending by at least 4% every year.
The speech comes after five of the 130,000 members excluded from voting in the leadership election dropped their legal challenge against the decision of Labour's ruling body to bar them from voting because they had not joined by 12 January.


Adele Tells Fans Why She Turned Down Super Bowl

Adele has revealed that she turned down an opportunity to perform at the 2017 Super Bowl half-time show.
The multiple Grammy Award-winning singer told fans during a concert in Los Angeles that she was asked by the NFL to perform at the event in Houston, Texas, in February.
"First of all, I'm not doing the Super Bowl," Adele said from the stage in a video posted on Twitter.
"I mean, come on, that show is not about music. And I don't really - I can't dance or anything like that. They were very kind, they did ask me, but I did say no.
"I'm sorry. Maybe next time, for my next album, because I'm going to do a dance album next time. So maybe I'll do it then."
Beyonce performs at the Super Bowl
Adele won't be following in the footsteps of Beyonce, pictured here performing at the Super Bowl
The UK superstar was widely reported to be the favourite to play the half-time show.
In August, an NFL source was reported in The Sun as saying: "There is nobody bigger in the world than Adele right now and organisers are doing absolutely everything they can to try to persuade her to sign up.
"She's sold out every date on her tour, everyone wants a piece of her and they know they can bank on her bringing in the viewers."
Previous half-time shows have included a long list of famous names such as Beyonce, Madonna, Prince, Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones.

Manhunt After 'Axe And Gun Attack' In Cologne

Two suspects are on the run after an axe and gun attack in Cologne, Germany, left one person injured, according to reports.

Witnesses told police that a group of men fought each other with axes, according to the country's media.

A man who suffered a stab wound in the thigh tried to flee in his car but other men shot at him and hit the vehicle, said newspaper Express.

The windows had been shot out, it added.

The attack happened in the early hours of Monday in the city centre.


Sunday, August 14, 2016

Call For 'Drive-Safe' Modes For Smartphones

Road safety experts have called for smartphones to be fitted with a "drive-safe" mode - similar to the flight-safe option - to help stop drivers being "distracted or overwhelmed with information" at the wheel.

The RAC Foundation claims that every year there are around 70 fatal accidents on Britain's roads caused by motorists being distracted, while "driving using mobile phone" is cited in around 20 crashes.

The motoring charity's director Steve Gooding said: "In many ways smartphone technology and mobile communications are a godsend for road users, allowing us to do everything from getting directions to dodging congestion to calling for help if we break down.