Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Race Hate Crimes Soar On UK Railways After Brexit Vote

New figures show there was a sharp increase in suspected race hate crimes on UK railways following the vote to leave the European Union.
In the two weeks after the poll, British Transport Police (BTP) recorded 119 incidents of alleged racist abuse and attacks at stations - equivalent to eight every day.
The number of alleged race hate offences logged by the force between 24 June and 7 July amounts to a 57% increase compared with the previous two weeks - and an even sharper rise of 78% on the equivalent period last year.
The findings coincide with a spike revealed in data from police forces around the country.
A spate of reported incidents sparked fears of a wave of xenophobic abuse following the Brexit vote.
Bruce Williamson, of campaign group Railfuture, said: "Every passenger should be able to enter a station and board a train without fear of abuse or worse.
"These latest figures are very worrying, and they highlight the continuing need for staff presence at stations and on board trains.
BTP polices Britain's railways as well as a number of urban networks such as London Underground.
Superintendent Chris Horton, of BTP, said: "Hate crime is totally unacceptable and has no place in society or on the rail network.
"We are aware that hate crime is under-reported and so in order to tackle it effectively, we need the public to stand up to those committing these sickening acts and report it to us. We will take every report seriously.
"We will always work tirelessly to ensure those who threaten or intimidate passengers are brought to justice."
Last month, more than 6,000 alleged hate crimes and incidents were reported to police in England, Wales and Northern Ireland in the four weeks from the middle of June.
There was a slight fall after an initial spike, but the volume of reports was still around a third higher than the equivalent period last year.


Prince Overdose: Mislabelled Pills Found In His Home

Pills recovered from Prince's Paisley Park estate were falsely labelled and actually contained a drug 50 times more potent than heroin, officials have revealed.
A number of tablets discovered throughout the musician's Minneapolis home tested positive for the powerful synthetic opioid fentanyl, an offical speaking on condition of anonymity told news agency AP. 
Post-mortem results in June revealed Prince, 57, died of an accidental fentanyl overdose.
Records show Prince had no prescription for any controlled substances in the state of Minnesota in the 12 months before he died and it remains unclear how he obtained the drugs.

Fentanyl has been partly responsible for a recent surge in overdose deaths in some parts of the US.
When made into counterfeit pills, users don't always know they're taking fentanyl, increasing the risk of fatal overdose.
The Minneapolis Star Tribune said: "It seems more and more likely that Prince became a casualty of what is being called a new national crisis of deadly counterfeit pills."
Around a dozen tablets were found in a dressing room in Paisley Park.
The vast majority, however, were found inside aspirin and vitamin bottles tucked in a suitcase and bags, including one that Prince often carried with him.
Some tested positive for not only fentanyl, but also lidocaine and U-4770 - a synthetic drug that is eight times more powerful than morphine.
Around two dozen pills were found to have been falsely labelled as "Watson 385", a stamp used to identity pills container a mix of acetaminophen and hydrocodone, a weaker form of opioid.
Prince was found unresponsive and alone in an elevator at his complex in Paisley Park, Minnesota, on 21 April.
Emergency services attempted CPR on arrival but could not revive the singer-songwriter.

Ryan Lochte Apologises To Brazil For 'Exaggerated' Robbery Story

Scandal-hit swimmer Ryan Lochte has admitted he "over-exaggerated" his story about being robbed in Rio, as he made a grovelling apology to Olympics host Brazil.
In an interview with the country's largest broadcaster, the US gold-winner said he was "110%" sorry and blamed his immaturity for causing "all this ruckus".
But - speaking to TV Globo - Lochte insisted he "wasn't lying to a certain extent" and claimed he had been a victim of extortion because he was forced by armed guards to hand over money.
In a separate interview with NBC, Lochte also apologised to his swimming teammates, Jimmy Feigen, 26, Jack Conger, 21, and Gunnar Bentz, 20, who police stopped from leaving Brazil over the incident.
Jack Conger (L) and Gunnar Bentz arrive back in the US after being detained by the Brazilian authorities
Jack Conger (L) and Gunnar Bentz were with Lochte when the altercation took place
They would not have been in "this mess" if it had not been for his "immature behaviour", he admitted.
Lochte, 32, had initially claimed they had been pulled over by gunmen posing as police who then robbed them.
However, the group faced an angry backlash after police accused Lochte of fabricating the story to cover up vandalising a petrol station toilet.
His account was also contradicted by Bentz, who said Lochte had played a key role in the altercation, pulling down a metal advertisement and arguing with armed security guards.
Bentz said they had been confronted after they urinated behind some bushes near the petrol station.
In his interview with Brazilian television, Lochte said: "I over-exaggerated the story. Brazil doesn't deserve that."
He added: "To the gas station owner, to the Brazilian police, to the people of Rio and to the people of Brazil and everyone who came together to put on these wonderful Games, I want to say that I am truly, 110% - I am sorry.
"It won't happen again. I have learned from it.
"And I'm sorry that my immaturity caused all this ruckus."
Lochte came away with a single relay gold from Rio but was one of the stars of London 2012, winning two golds, two silvers and a bronze.

Ryan Lochte Apologises To Brazil For 'Exaggerated' Robbery Story

Scandal-hit swimmer Ryan Lochte has admitted he "over-exaggerated" his story about being robbed in Rio, as he made a grovelling apology to Olympics host Brazil.
In an interview with the country's largest broadcaster, the US gold-winner said he was "110%" sorry and blamed his immaturity for causing "all this ruckus".
But - speaking to TV Globo - Lochte insisted he "wasn't lying to a certain extent" and claimed he had been a victim of extortion because he was forced by armed guards to hand over money.
In a separate interview with NBC, Lochte also apologised to his swimming teammates, Jimmy Feigen, 26, Jack Conger, 21, and Gunnar Bentz, 20, who police stopped from leaving Brazil over the incident.
Jack Conger (L) and Gunnar Bentz arrive back in the US after being detained by the Brazilian authorities
Jack Conger (L) and Gunnar Bentz were with Lochte when the altercation took place
They would not have been in "this mess" if it had not been for his "immature behaviour", he admitted.
Lochte, 32, had initially claimed they had been pulled over by gunmen posing as police who then robbed them.
However, the group faced an angry backlash after police accused Lochte of fabricating the story to cover up vandalising a petrol station toilet.
His account was also contradicted by Bentz, who said Lochte had played a key role in the altercation, pulling down a metal advertisement and arguing with armed security guards.
Bentz said they had been confronted after they urinated behind some bushes near the petrol station.
In his interview with Brazilian television, Lochte said: "I over-exaggerated the story. Brazil doesn't deserve that."
He added: "To the gas station owner, to the Brazilian police, to the people of Rio and to the people of Brazil and everyone who came together to put on these wonderful Games, I want to say that I am truly, 110% - I am sorry.
"It won't happen again. I have learned from it.
"And I'm sorry that my immaturity caused all this ruckus."
Lochte came away with a single relay gold from Rio but was one of the stars of London 2012, winning two golds, two silvers and a bronze.

Five Die Over 24 Hours In Separate Sea Tragedies

A man who died after he was swept out to sea has been named as Rudy Bruynius - as details emerged of a fifth sea death in 24 hours. 
Police are urging people to be careful if they are swimming, sailing or walking near the edge of the water as the sea "can be extremely unforgiving with conditions changing rapidly".
Mr Bruynius was with his wife Lisinda and daughter McKayla on Cornwall's Fistral Beach late on Friday afternoon when they were caught up by a large wave amid strong winds.
He was taken to hospital but later pronounced dead, while McKayla was reportedly in a critical condition.
Two other children in the family managed to scramble back on to the rocks.
Mrs Bruynius said: "Lotsa love and can't thank each and everyone of you for your love support and prayers.
"Pls continue to pray for my miracle baby...for her to pull through. As they can't give me a certain indication of how much brain damage occurred during her time in the water."
A helicopter was called in to airlift the man to hospital. Pic: Paul L Blatchford
Mr Bruynius was swept out to sea at Fistral Beach. Pic: Paul L Blatchford
Mr Bruynius was among five people who died during unseasonally treacherous weather conditions on Friday and Saturday.
They included a swimmer who got into difficulty in Jersey waters.
The channel island's coast guard received a call at 8.20pm on Saturday and two boats, including one from the RNLI, were used to try and save the woman.
She had been swimming between Green Island and Le Hocq on the island's south east coast and was taken to hospital but later died.
A woman has died after getting into difficulty while swimming in Jersey
A woman has died after getting into difficulty while swimming in Jersey
Jersey Police said the woman and a man - friends and both aged in their 30s - had gone into the water and he was rescued by a member of the public.
Asked what the weather and sea conditions were like on Saturday evening, the police spokesman said: "A storm warning had been issued."
Meanwhile, a windsurfer aged in his 60s died in a Colchester hospital after being rescued by RNLI lifeboats off the coast of West Mersea, in Essex, at around midday on Saturday.
An Essex Police spokesman said they were trying to establish the events leading up to his death.
And a seven-year-old boy, Lucas Walker, died in hospital along with his 37-year-old mother, Julie Walker, after getting into difficulties in water at Aberdeen beach.
The youngster's brother Samuel tried to save them as he "bravely" entered the sea. He is now being treated in hospital.
Chief Superintendent Campbell Thomson said: "Our seas can be extremely unforgiving - even during the summer months - with conditions changing rapidly.
"I would urge people to be extremely careful when near any body of water whether you're swimming, sailing or walking near the water's edge."

Five Die Over 24 Hours In Separate Sea Tragedies

A man who died after he was swept out to sea has been named as Rudy Bruynius - as details emerged of a fifth sea death in 24 hours. 
Police are urging people to be careful if they are swimming, sailing or walking near the edge of the water as the sea "can be extremely unforgiving with conditions changing rapidly".
Mr Bruynius was with his wife Lisinda and daughter McKayla on Cornwall's Fistral Beach late on Friday afternoon when they were caught up by a large wave amid strong winds.
He was taken to hospital but later pronounced dead, while McKayla was reportedly in a critical condition.
Two other children in the family managed to scramble back on to the rocks.
Mrs Bruynius said: "Lotsa love and can't thank each and everyone of you for your love support and prayers.
"Pls continue to pray for my miracle baby...for her to pull through. As they can't give me a certain indication of how much brain damage occurred during her time in the water."
A helicopter was called in to airlift the man to hospital. Pic: Paul L Blatchford
Mr Bruynius was swept out to sea at Fistral Beach. Pic: Paul L Blatchford
Mr Bruynius was among five people who died during unseasonally treacherous weather conditions on Friday and Saturday.
They included a swimmer who got into difficulty in Jersey waters.
The channel island's coast guard received a call at 8.20pm on Saturday and two boats, including one from the RNLI, were used to try and save the woman.
She had been swimming between Green Island and Le Hocq on the island's south east coast and was taken to hospital but later died.
A woman has died after getting into difficulty while swimming in Jersey
A woman has died after getting into difficulty while swimming in Jersey
Jersey Police said the woman and a man - friends and both aged in their 30s - had gone into the water and he was rescued by a member of the public.
Asked what the weather and sea conditions were like on Saturday evening, the police spokesman said: "A storm warning had been issued."
Meanwhile, a windsurfer aged in his 60s died in a Colchester hospital after being rescued by RNLI lifeboats off the coast of West Mersea, in Essex, at around midday on Saturday.
An Essex Police spokesman said they were trying to establish the events leading up to his death.
And a seven-year-old boy, Lucas Walker, died in hospital along with his 37-year-old mother, Julie Walker, after getting into difficulties in water at Aberdeen beach.
The youngster's brother Samuel tried to save them as he "bravely" entered the sea. He is now being treated in hospital.
Chief Superintendent Campbell Thomson said: "Our seas can be extremely unforgiving - even during the summer months - with conditions changing rapidly.
"I would urge people to be extremely careful when near any body of water whether you're swimming, sailing or walking near the water's edge."

Five Die Over 24 Hours In Separate Sea Tragedies

A man who died after he was swept out to sea has been named as Rudy Bruynius - as details emerged of a fifth sea death in 24 hours. 
Police are urging people to be careful if they are swimming, sailing or walking near the edge of the water as the sea "can be extremely unforgiving with conditions changing rapidly".
Mr Bruynius was with his wife Lisinda and daughter McKayla on Cornwall's Fistral Beach late on Friday afternoon when they were caught up by a large wave amid strong winds.
He was taken to hospital but later pronounced dead, while McKayla was reportedly in a critical condition.
Two other children in the family managed to scramble back on to the rocks.
Mrs Bruynius said: "Lotsa love and can't thank each and everyone of you for your love support and prayers.
"Pls continue to pray for my miracle baby...for her to pull through. As they can't give me a certain indication of how much brain damage occurred during her time in the water."
A helicopter was called in to airlift the man to hospital. Pic: Paul L Blatchford
Mr Bruynius was swept out to sea at Fistral Beach. Pic: Paul L Blatchford
Mr Bruynius was among five people who died during unseasonally treacherous weather conditions on Friday and Saturday.
They included a swimmer who got into difficulty in Jersey waters.
The channel island's coast guard received a call at 8.20pm on Saturday and two boats, including one from the RNLI, were used to try and save the woman.
She had been swimming between Green Island and Le Hocq on the island's south east coast and was taken to hospital but later died.
A woman has died after getting into difficulty while swimming in Jersey
A woman has died after getting into difficulty while swimming in Jersey
Jersey Police said the woman and a man - friends and both aged in their 30s - had gone into the water and he was rescued by a member of the public.
Asked what the weather and sea conditions were like on Saturday evening, the police spokesman said: "A storm warning had been issued."
Meanwhile, a windsurfer aged in his 60s died in a Colchester hospital after being rescued by RNLI lifeboats off the coast of West Mersea, in Essex, at around midday on Saturday.
An Essex Police spokesman said they were trying to establish the events leading up to his death.
And a seven-year-old boy, Lucas Walker, died in hospital along with his 37-year-old mother, Julie Walker, after getting into difficulties in water at Aberdeen beach.
The youngster's brother Samuel tried to save them as he "bravely" entered the sea. He is now being treated in hospital.
Chief Superintendent Campbell Thomson said: "Our seas can be extremely unforgiving - even during the summer months - with conditions changing rapidly.
"I would urge people to be extremely careful when near any body of water whether you're swimming, sailing or walking near the water's edge."