Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Miley Cyrus 'Homeless' Man Puts VMA Award On Ebay

A "homeless" man who shared the stage with Miley Cyrus at the MTV Video Music Awards is auctioning the gong he accepted for the singer.

Jesse Helt has put the Moonman statuette on ebay with an asking price of £7,600 ($10,000), describing it as: "In mint condition. Very rare one of a kind. No fingerprints."

Mr Helt, 24, made headlines around the world when he accepted the singer's video of the year award for Wrecking Ball in 2014.

He gave a short speech, telling an audience packed with celebrities in Inglewood, California: "Thank y'all. My name is Jesse and I am accepting this award on behalf of the 1.6 million runaways and homeless youth in the US who are starving, lost and scared for their lives right now.

"I know this because I am one of these people."

According to US gossip website TMZ, Mr Helt's fortunes have since improved and he is auctioning the award to raise money before his child is born.

The website said he is currently living in a studio apartment in LA.

Miley Cyrus fans can secure the award - engraved with both the singer's name and Mr Helt's - without taking part in a bidding process for £11,450 ($15,000).

MTV's distinctive Moonman statuettes have reached healthy prices at auction in the past.

Madonna's 1998 Ray Of Light trophy fetched £16,000 ($20,500), while Michael Jackson's 1984 best choreography gong for Thriller went for £46,000 ($60,000).

Protest Over Aboriginal Teen's Death Turns Ugly In Australia

A dozen police officers were injured and a courthouse had to be evacuated during a protest over the death of an Aboriginal teenager in Australia.

Riot police had to move in and several arrests were made in the town of Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, on Tuesday.

Protesters had tried to force their way into the courthouse, with one police officer needing stitches after being struck by a projectile.

Windows were smashed in five police cars and a local business, police said.

The crowd had been protesting outside the court before the appearance of a 55-year-old man charged with the manslaughter of Elijah Doughty, 14.

Elijah was riding a stolen motorbike on Monday before a crash involving the bike and the man's vehicle.

Police said the motorbike was linked to the charged man.

Acting police commander Darryl Gaunt said Facebook posts about the incident had been "disgusting and racist" and had "inflamed" the situation.

However, he refuted suggestions that racism played a role in Elijah's death.

"There is nothing to suggest at all that it's a racist issue," he said. "It's the death of a child who happens to be Aboriginal."

Elijah's grandfather Albert Doughty, who wants the man's charge upgraded, told the ABC: "Kids have been chased in cars for too long, and reported (but) nothing done about it."

But he condemned the violence seen during the protest, saying: "I just want people to respect police and the law and let justice take its course in the right way."

Other protesters said they were expressing frustration at what they described as ongoing, endemic racism, with one saying the violence was "200 years in the making".

A police post on Facebook said: "We understand there is significant community concern over events in the Goldfields area during the past 24 hours.

"Members of the public have a right to protest, however, we encourage them to do so peacefully, or they may be arrested."

The accused man remains in custody and is expected to appear in a Perth court via videolink on Wednesday.

He and his family have been moved away from the area for safety reasons.

Japanese Team Reveals Entry In Google Lunar XPRIZE Race To Moon

A team of engineers shooting for the moon have put the finishing touches to a lunar rover prototype.

Japanese space race team Hakuto has completed its innovative model using solar panels, 3D printed wheels and the latest carbon fibre material which keeps the unit's weight down to just 4kg.

The lunar rover will be Hakuto's entry in next year's Lunar XPRIZE competition, a Google-backed scheme to encourage entrepreneurs to pioneer affordable access to the moon.

A $20m (£15.3m) prize is up for grabs for the first team to land a privately funded rover on the moon and have it travel 500 metres.

The unit must also transmit back high-definition video and images.

To complete this feat Hakuto has fitted its rover with four cameras that will give a 360-degree view of the landscape, necessary for manoeuvring as well as capturing footage.

The unit's silvercoated Teflon cover will keep its temperatures stable, despite lunar temperatures varying between 100C and -150C.

The prototype will be tested next month at a desert in Tottori Prefecture, south Japan, where the ground closely resembles the lunar surface.

The Lunar XPRIZE has 16 entrants from across the globe.

Google says the competition's winner will prove that "cost-effective and reliable" access to the moon is possible and in the long term will "help to expand human civilisation into space".

Dubai's Ruler Finds Empty Desks In Surprise Office Spot Check

Dubai's ruler has sacked nine senior officials and ordered a shake-up of the city's management after a spot check revealed a significant number of absent employees.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum conducted the no-warning spot check himself - and posted a video of it on his Instagram account.

Posting the footage of the unannounced visit to a government office building on social media was intended to "send a message", according to a Dubai media official.

The action has been deemed as part of a widespread move by Gulf governments to make their bureaucracies more efficient amid low oil prices.

On Monday, Sheikh Mohammed, who is also the prime minister and vice president of the United Arab Emirates, fast-forwarded the retirement of nine members of the municipality's executive management.

These included directors and assistant director-generals in departments such as legal affairs and planning, the UAE's state news agency WAM reported.

He thanked them for their service, but said he wanted to allow a new generation of young leaders to take control and provide top-quality services to the public, according to WAM.

Francois Hollande Says Brexit Talks Must End By 2019

Talks on Britain leaving the European Union must be finished by 2019, French President Francois Hollande has said.

"This choice means that Britain, once it leaves, cannot take part in European decisions," Mr Hollande told an annual gathering of French ambassadors.

"It will not be able to access the single market unless it accepts the four freedoms, all its regulation and budgetary solidarity."

He said Prime Minister Theresa May had tough decisions to take and that she needed time, but that she could not wait on triggering exit talks.

"It would neither be good for Britain nor acceptable for Europe," Mr Hollande continued.

"For France, everything must be concluded by 2019."

To begin the formal process of leaving the EU, Mrs May needs to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which will start the two-year process of splitting from the bloc.

There has been constant speculation since Mrs May replaced David Cameron last month about when that will happen.

The PM is expected to ask her Cabinet ministers to set out how how their department is preparing for Brexit when they gather on Wednesday.

Her top team will meet at the PM's country retreat Chequers to discuss the next steps.

Reports in recent days have suggested Mrs May could trigger Article 50 without holding a vote in Parliament.

Workers 'Could Lose Rights' In Wake Of Brexit, Labour MP Warns

Workers could lose many of their employment rights in the wake of Brexit unless the Government passes new laws to protect them, a senior Labour MP has warned.

Prominent backers of leaving the European Union rubbished claims during the campaign that leaving the bloc could result in the loss of workers' rights.

But former shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna has commissioned research by the House of Commons library highlighting the EU laws that enshrine employment rights.

Mr Umunna, chairman of Vote Leave Watch - which scrutinises claims made by Brexit campaigners - has written to the Prime Minister, warning her that a failure to protect these rights would amount to "a betrayal of British workers".

He is calling on Theresa May to confirm the Government will make sure all employment rights currently dependent on EU law remain in place by passing new legislation if required.

Mr Umunna also wants a full audit of all instances where decisions by the European Court of Justice have delivered rights for British workers, and a commitment to ensure these judgments are kept post-Brexit.

Finally, he wants Mrs May to make clear Britain's full support for the Equality Act 2010.

He told Sky News the PM's oft-repeated mantra that "Brexit means Brexit" is a "completely meaningless phrase" that "doesn't tell you anything about what life will really be like once we leave".

Mr Umunna added: "They (the House of Commons library) have told me there is a whole swathe of your rights at work, employment law, that will fall away.

"For example, your right to annual paid leave is one of the rights that will fall away.

"Your right to daily rest of at least 11 hours so you're not working 24 hours a day, that type of thing could fall away.

"Your right to not be dismissed if your employer is bought by another company.

"Those are the kinds of rights we're talking about.

"The government must not allow people to be left in the lurch."

A Downing Street spokesman said: "Britain voted decisively to leave the EU - and this Government will deliver the people's verdict. In every step we will work to ensure the best possible outcome for the British people.

"We don't need to be part of the EU to have strong protections for workers' rights."

State Funeral For 37 Victims Of Italy Earthquake

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi will attend a service for 37 earthquake victims on Monday after agreeing to change the venue following fury from relatives.

The second state funeral since last Wednesday's quake - which killed a total of 292 people - will mark the passing of victims from in and around the town of Amatrice

The town has suffered 2,500 aftershocks and has just one access road - and safety concerns prompted the government to arrange a service in an airport hangar 40 miles away.

The residents of Amatrice were told they would be bussed to the ceremony or could watch it on TV.

But an outcry forced the government to rethink and the service will now be staged in a large tent on the outskirts of the town's destroyed medieval centre.

It will begin at 5pm UK time.

Among those attending is Romanian Prime Minister Dacian Ciolos, as 11 of the dead were Romanians.

So far, 231 bodies have been found in Amatrice and 11 more in nearby Accumoli. The bodies of at least 10 more people are still believed to be under rubble.

There were 50 people killed in Le Marche.

Meanwhile, Italy is investigating possible responsibility for the buildings that collapsed, as many had been recently renovated using public funds meant for anti-seismic improvements.

These buildings include a school and church tower.

Giuseppe Saieva, a prosecutor from the city of Rieti, told the Il Messaggero newspaper: "First we must obtain all the documents from the contract and bidding processes, through to the inspections.

"Only then can we know what the responsibilities were of all those involved."