Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Michelle Obama tells Oprah Winfrey the White House needs a 'grown-up'

Michelle Obama has said America needs a "grown-up" in the White House during an interview with Oprah Winfrey.

The First Lady also said the US was "feeling what not having hope feels like" following the election of Donald Trump.

Both Mrs Obama and her husband had spoken out against the billionaire tycoon on the campaign trail, saying he was "unfit" to hold office.

In candid remarks to the talk show host, the First Lady said Mr Obama had made the nation more hopeful during his eight years in office "because we feel the difference now".

During the interview, which is set to air on CBS, Mrs Obama said the country would come to appreciate her husband.

She added: "Because we feel the difference now.

"See, now we are feeling what not having hope feels like, you know?

"Hope is necessary. It's a necessary concept. And Barack didn't just talk about hope because he thought it was just a nice slogan to get votes."

She also said the President had provided reassurance and leadership in the face of uncertainty.

Mrs Obama said: "I feel that Barack has been that for the nation in ways that people will come to appreciate.

"Having a grown-up in the White House who can say to you in times of crisis and turmoil 'Hey, it's going to be okay. Let's remember the good things that we have. Let's look at the future. Let's look at all the things that we are building'."

Her comments come amid continuing controversy around the deeply divisive election with claims the Kremlin had ordered cyberattacks against the defeated Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in a bid to influence the outcome.

Mrs Obama, who met the President-elect and his wife Melania at the White House after the election in November, did not mention the couple by name during the interview.

People 'shot dead trying to flee Aleppo hell', says White Helmet

A White Helmet rescue worker in war-torn Aleppo has told Sky News how people were shot by pro-government forces as they tried to flee the "hell" of the Syrian city.
Ishmael al Abdullah, of the Syria Civil Defence group, described the "dangerous journey" faced in trying to escape the eastern rebel enclave and said tens of thousands remained trapped and were desperate to leave.
He was speaking after the operation to evacuate people from the last opposition-held areas stalled on Friday amid claims of violations.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has called on the warring factions to agree a plan to provide a safe passage for evacuees.
Both sides now claim to have reached a deal to allow the evacuation to resume, although this will inevitably be fragile.
Russia has been accused of failing to "restrain" Iranian-backed militias to allow for the evacuation to continue.
Speaking to Sky News, Mr Abdullah said more than 40,000 people remain trapped.
He said: "Yesterday, they opened fire on the people who were trying to escape from this hell - they killed three people.
"Assad mercenaries killed the three people in cold blood in front of the Red Crescent and all the guys who witnessed that crime… Now we are waiting for the new deal.
"Up to now we do not trust anyone. Up till now we haven't seen any deal and no one saw up to now the green buses (used to take civilians out of Aleppo)."
Highlighting the plight of residents, he said: "They are trapped. Most of them are waiting to leave the city.
"Everyone wants to leave Aleppo city."
He added: "The people who arrived on the other side told us it was like the Assad forces and the pro-government militias were looking at the people and may be at any time they will shoot anyone who will look at them.
"It's a really a dangerous journey between the two sides."
Mr Abdullah also gave an insight into the hazardous work of the White Helmets in Aleppo and claimed they had been deliberately targeted by the the military of President Bashar al Assad.
He said: "We saved a lot of people - a lot of kids.
"And this situation, it's like when we respond to any bombing site… many times Assad's forces targeted us and we lost a lot of friends when they were trying to save the people.
"It's like a strategy for them where they want to kill everyone who is trying to save anyone, anyone under the rubble who needs help."
:: A convoy carrying enough supplies to build a children's hospital near Aleppo is due to leave central London for Syria. 
Around 3,000 people have donated nearly £150,000 to fund what organisers say is the first ever crowd-funded hospital.


Donald Trump slams Chinese seizure of US drone as 'unpresidented act'

Donald Trump has hit out at the Chinese seizure of a US underwater drone in international waters as an "unpresidented (sic) act".

The US said the drone was collecting scientific data in the disputed South China Sea, and was one of two being recovered by a survey ship, when it was taken by a Chinese warship.

:: Is Chinese drone face-off a signal to Trump?

Mr Trump responded to the move on Twitter on Saturday, misspelling the word "unprecedented" as he conveyed his outrage.

"China steals United States Navy research drone in international waters - rips it out of water and takes it to China in unpresidented act," he wrote.

Two hours later he tweeted the same response - this time correcting his spelling error - and deleted his initial tweet.

Within a couple of hours of his original tweet, China accused the US of "hyping up" the incident and said it was not conducive to a "smooth" resolution of the dispute.

:: Is Trump prepared for war with China?

China's defence ministry said it had been in touch with the US about returning the drone.

Beijing will remain on alert to US surveillance and take the necessary steps, it added.

The US has demanded Beijing returns the 10ft-long unmanned glider and has issued a formal complaint.

The US oceanographic survey ship, USNS Bowditch, was positioned about 50 nautical miles northwest of Subic Bay, near the Philippines.

When the Chinese warship approached and seized the drone on Thursday, the two vessels were 500m apart.

No shots were fired and the Chinese ship left with the drone.

Navy Captain Jeff Davis told reporters: "It is ours. It's clearly marked as ours. We would like it back, and we would like this not to happen again."

It comes amid escalating tensions between China and the US after the President-elect suggested he is willing to abandon the One China policy which guides Washington's position on Taiwan.

Mr Trump caused outrage in Beijing after he took a call from Tsai Ing-wen, the president of democratically self-ruling Taiwan.

:: First Lady says White House needs a 'grown-up'

Although the US is Taiwan's main ally and arms supplier, Washington has not had official diplomatic relations with it for almost four decades.

It was the first such contact with Taiwan by a US president-elect or president since President Jimmy Carter switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to China in 1979.

Officials in Beijing have said it is "seriously concerned" about the future and the US view on Taiwan..

However, Mr Trump is showing no signs of backing down to China, which considers Taiwan a rogue province awaiting unification.

He has also criticised Chinese currency policies, its activities in the South China Sea and its stance towards North Korea.

China's seizure of the US drone will add to concerns about its growing military presence in the South China Sea, including its militarisation of maritime outposts.

Pacific tsunami warning after magnitude 7.9 quake

A magnitude 7.9 earthquake has struck off the east coast of Papua New Guinea, according to reports.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre says widespread hazardous tsunami waves are possible.

The centre said tsunami waves were possible in the next three hours along some coasts of not only Papua New Guinea but also Indonesia, the Solomon Islands, Pohnpei, Chuuk, Nauru, Kosrae and Vanuatu.

New Zealand's Ministry of Civil Defence has also issued a warning for all of the country's coast.

Papua New Guinea sits on the Ring of Fire, the arc of seismic faults around the Pacific Ocean where earthquakes are common.

Airport and pilot strikes: Travel fears amid Christmas of discontent

Airport staff, British Airways cabin crew and Virgin Atlantic pilots are among the latest workers set to strike over the festive period.

More than 1,500 check-in staff, baggage handlers and cargo crew at 18 airports who are employed by Swissport and members of the Unite union will strike first, for 48 hours from 23 December.

British Airways cabin crew, also members of Unite, will then strike on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Both strikes are over pay.

The airports affected by the first strike include Gatwick, Heathrow, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Stansted, East Midlands and Belfast.

Others affected are Aberdeen, Bristol, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Doncaster, Edinburgh, Leeds/Bradford, Luton, Newcastle and Southampton.

BA said it was "appalled" that around 4,500 cabin crew represented by the Unite union would strikeand vowed to ensure passengers reach their destinations.

The airline promised that customers would get to their destination despite the action.

"This calculated and heartless action is completely unnecessary and we are determined that it will fail," a spokesman said.

Speaking to Sky News, Unite's general secretary, Len McCluskey, defended both strikes.

Virgin Atlantic pilots have also voted to take industrial action over union recognition and will work "strictly to contract", also from 23 December.

Their union, the PPU, said 88% of its members had voted in favour on a turnout of 80%.

The action will see a removal of "pilot goodwill", with pilots working strictly to their contract.

"It is possible that this may leave some flights not covered," said a statement from the union.

Virgin Atlantic said it was "disappointed" with the action but that it expected services to operate as normal.

It is the latest industrial dispute to flare in recent months, with strikes on Southern Railway over staffing, the Post Office over jobs, pensions and closures, and a work to rule on London Underground over jobs and ticket office closures.

Post Office workers will strike next week, including on Christmas Eve, after their union said an offer it made to resolve a row over jobs, pensions and closures was rejected.

Uber defies demand to cease self-driving

Uber has been told its self-driving cars are illegal - but it is refusing to take them off San Francisco's roads.

The company started testing the vehicles this week, but the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has said the firm must have a test permit.

Uber said it did not need one as they have a safety driver at the wheel, and is going to ignore the demand.

California's attorney general - the state's most senior government lawyer - said Uber must cease the driving immediately or face further action.

A spokeswoman for the attorney general's office would not be drawn on what the specific action could be, but the next step would likely be a court order compelling Uber to carry out the demand.
'Illegal'

Other companies testing autonomous technology in California, such as Google, have applied for and obtained the permit which costs $150 (£120) for 10 vehicles.

Additional vehicles can be added at a rate of $50 for each additional 10 vehicles.

"It is illegal for the company to operate its self-driving vehicles on public roads until it receives an autonomous vehicle testing permit," said Brian Soublet from the California DMV in a letter to Uber this week.

In a conference call with media on Friday, Uber's vice-president of Advanced Technologies Anthony Levandowski said Uber had "respect" for officials, but that the regulations were irrelevant to its cars.

"You don't need a belt and suspenders if you're wearing a dress," he told reporters.

In his view the permit only applies to cars that could operate "without the active physical control or monitoring of a human operator".

Uber's cars need a human, he said - although the company still intends to refer to the vehicles as "self-driving cars".
The Tesla defence

He went on to make a comparison with electric car company Tesla. Its cars come with a feature known as Autopilot which takes control of the vehicle and automatically keeps up with traffic and changes lanes.

Autopilot does not require a permit, and so Uber argued its cars should be treated the same way. It requested clarification from the DMV on that issue specifically.

The permit requires companies to cover insurance costs as well as provide public reports on any collisions or instances when the human driver must take control.

Uber said it planned to make disclosures about the performance of its cars, but did not specify how.

On Friday afternoon, a number of the cars were seen travelling around the city.

Earlier in the week one of the cars was filmed jumping a red light, an incident Uber blamed on human error.

HMP Birmingham riot: Prison officers take back control

All four wings have been secured at HMP Birmingham - 12 hours after the start of a riot at one of the country's biggest jails.

Up to 600 inmates are thought to have been involved in the disturbance at the privately-run jail, Sky sources said, with reports of prisoners setting fire to stairwells, breaking a security chain and destroying paper records.

Specialist riot squads were sent in to take back control of the prison, which has a capacity of 1,450.

Justice Secretary Liz Truss said a "thorough" investigation into the "serious situation" will be carried out.

At least three prisoners were wounded, including one who is understood to have suffered a broken jaw and eye socket. No prison staff were hurt.

Broken windows and damaged walls were described as being left in the aftermath of the riot, but sources said the damage had been "superficial".

The trouble reportedly started when prisoners broke lights and got hold of fire hoses.

Then one officer was threatened with a used syringe by an inmate before another took his keys, it was reported.

:: Riot at HMP Birmingham is 'not a surprise'

Prisoners took over the gym and also the security equipment store, which included batons, according to Sky sources.

Inmates were believed to have had control of wings L, M, N and P - but all are now secured.

Pictures have emerged apparently showing some of them wearing prison officers' equipment, including helmets.

"Terrified" prisoners in another wing expressed concern that rioters were trying to force their way into that section.

Specialist "Tornado" prison teams worked with around 25 riot police to regain control. Dog units were also used.

Some inmates have reportedly claimed the riot began because they were unable to watch TV or go to the gym.

Others complained about a lack of hot water in the showers, and also prison food.

Speaking after the riot was over, Ms Truss said: "I want to pay tribute to the bravery and dedication of the prison officers who resolved this disturbance."

She also thanked the police, ambulance crews and the fire service.

"This was a serious situation and a thorough investigation will now be carried out," added the Justice Secretary.

"Violence in our prisons will not be tolerated and those responsible will face the full force of the law."

Prison affairs expert Alex Cavendish said the riot was probably the most serious since Strangeways in 1990 - where unrest at the Manchester jail lasted for 25 days.

Mike Rolfe, chairman of the Prison Officers Association (POA), said it was "another stark warning to the Ministry of Justice that the service is in crisis".

It is the third disturbance at an English prison in less than two months.

On 6 November, 200 inmates went on a rampage at Bedford Prison and a national response unit had to be sent to an incident at HMP Lewes in East Sussex on 29 October.

POA members held protests outside jails last month amid health and safety concerns and after figures showed rising levels of violence.