Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Security reviewed across UK after Berlin Christmas market attack

One of London's most popular tourist attractions will be protected by strict road closures as police in the UK react to the attack in Berlin.

Twelve people died after a lorry ploughed into a crowded Christmas market in the German capital on Monday night in what is assumed to be a terror attack.

It came just hours after Russia's ambassador to Turkey Andrey Karlov was shot dead at a photography exhibition in Ankara.

On Tuesday evening, London's Metropolitan Police announced that planned road closures for the Changing of the Guard outside Buckingham Palace would take place from Wednesday.

In a statement, police said that due to the event's "high profile" in an "iconic location", and because it had "a substantial military presence" and attracted large crowds, "the closures were a necessary precaution".

Police added that the road closures were "a precautionary measure and not in relation to any specific intelligence".

The three-month trial will see Constitution Hill, the Queen Victoria Memorial, Spur Road, Link Road and The Mall up to the junction with Marlborough Road closed to vehicles between 10.45am and 12.30pm on the days of the Changing of the Guard at the palace.

Police said security at other events in the UK over Christmas and New Year is also being reviewed following the attacks in Berlin and Ankara, saying there are "detailed plans for protecting public events over the Christmas and New Year period".

:: Merkel believes it was 'terror attack'

The force said: "These already recognise that the threat level is at 'severe', meaning an attack is highly likely, and have considered a range of threats, including the use of large vehicles.

"As a matter of routine, as a precaution, we review our plans after attacks overseas, and we are doing so at present following the awful incidents in Berlin and Ankara."

Berlin market lorry attack: Only suspect held released

The only suspect held after Monday's deadly lorry attack on a Berlin Christmas market has been released, prosecutors say.

They say they do not have sufficient evidence to pursue the case against the man, who has been identified by media only as Pakistani national Naved B.

The man earlier denied any involvement. He was captured in a park after reportedly fleeing the scene.

The lorry attack left 12 people dead and nearly 50 injured.

Christmas strikes by airport staff are cancelled

A 48-hour strike planned by baggage handlers and check-in staff at 18 airports from Friday has been cancelled, says Unite.

Members of Unite employed by Swissport had been due to walk out for the two days before Christmas, one of the busiest times of the year for travellers.

They had voted for industrial action in protest at a 4.65% pay rise over three years but the strikes were called off after Unite general secretary Len McCluskey said a better pay offer had been received.

He said: "I am delighted to report that we have reached an agreement which our shop stewards will recommend to our members."

The airports affected were to include Gatwick, Heathrow, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Stansted, East Midlands and Belfast.

Aberdeen, Bristol, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Doncaster, Edinburgh, Leeds/Bradford, Luton, Newcastle and Southampton had also expected to be disrupted.

British Airways cabin crew are due to strike on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and talks regarding their dispute - also over pay - are continuing.

Mr McCluskey described progress in those talks as "painfully slow".

The airline has said it still expects to run a full service, however.

Meanwhile, thousands of rail and postal workers continued with industrial action on Tuesday and the discontent could soon spread.

Strikes could spread to London Underground in the New Year, with the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union considering action to protest savings that it says have led to 800 job losses.

Michelle Obama Offers to Help Melania Trump

Michelle Obama’s door is open for incoming First Lady Melania Trump despite their political differences.

In her final White House interview, which aired Monday night on CBS, Obama revealed to Oprah Winfrey what she told Trump in their post-election meeting last month.

“My offer to Melania was, you really don’t know what you don’t know until you’re here, so the door is open, as I’ve told her and as Laura Bush told me and as other first ladies told me,” Obama said. “I’m not new in this ‘going high’ thing. I’m modeling what was done for me by the Bushes. And Laura Bush was nothing but gracious and helpful, and her team was right there for my team all throughout this entire eight-year process.”

Obama and Trump don’t have the smoothest history. Trump’s speech at the Republican National Convention plagiarized parts of a speech Obama delivered at the Democratic National Convention in 2008 — a gaffe Obama later joked was “tough.” But Obama says her priority now is helping her successor adjust to her new role.

“We will do whatever they need to help them succeed,” Obama said. “That’s one of the things I said to Melania: ‘When you get to a place where you can digest all of this and you have questions… my door is open.'”

Renewed deadly violence reported near Karak city

At least four policemen and one suspect have been reported killed in heavy gunfire in the Jordanian village of Wesya in the outskirts of Karak city after security officers stormed an apartment.

Two more suspects were arrested in Tuesday's violence that came shortly after the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group claimed responsibility for Sunday's attack at a popular tourist destination in Karak city.

The security sources told Al Jazeera that the suspects were on the wanted list and were not affiliated with the gunmen from Sunday's attack.

A video uploaded to social media purported to show Tuesday's exchange of fire in Wesya.

On Tuesday, ISIL said "four soldiers of the caliphate" armed with machine guns and hand grenades carried out Sunday's attack at the Crusader-era Karak Castle that killed 10 people.

"We promise the Crusader coalition countries something worse and more severe, Allah permitting ...," it said, referring to the anti-ISIL coalition member states.

Jordanian authorities and ISIL said the gunmen were shot dead by police during the course of a siege that lasted several hours.

Jordanian officials have refused to identify the attackers, calling them "terrorist outlaws".

Security sources said the perpetrators were Jordanian nationals.

Seven members of the Jordanian security forces, two local bystanders and the Canadian tourist were killed in the attacks which also left 34 people wounded.

Salamah Hamad, the country's interior minister, said on Monday at least five suicide belts were found, together with an ammunition cache, automatic weapons and explosives in a hideout in a house in the desert town of Qatranah, 30km northeast of Karak.

The gunmen had sought refuge in the Crusader castle after opening fire on police patrols and a police station in the city in southern Jordan, Hamad said.

Based on the quantities of explosives and weapons, "I don't think the target was just Karak castle, it's more," he added.

He would not elaborate, saying disclosing details at this stage could imperil national security.
Oasis of stability

Sunday's shootings were the latest in a series of attacks over the past year that have challenged the pro-Western kingdom's claim to be an oasis of stability in a region.

Jordan plays a key role in the US-led military campaign against ISIL, which seized large areas in neighbouring Iraq and Syria in 2014 and proclaimed a "caliphate" there.

Many Jordanians oppose their country's involvement, saying it has led to the killing of fellow Muslims and raised security threats inside Jordan.

Queen steps down as patron of several organisations

The Queen will step down as patron of a number of organisations at the end of her 90th birthday year.

Organisations including Battersea Dogs & Cats Home, Barnardo's, the Rugby Football Union, the British Cycling Federation and the NSPCC were on a list of 25 the monarch will step down from.

The patronages will be passed on to other members of the Royal Family from 2017, Buckingham Palace said.

The Duke of Edinburgh broke formal ties with some of his patronages when he turned 90 in 2011.

In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: "Her Majesty is currently patron of more than 600 organisations and has enjoyed a close and active association with a great number of them throughout her reign.

"Her Majesty will continue to serve as patron to hundreds of charities and institutions but will now share this work with her family.

"Many of the organisations listed below already have other members of the Royal Family as vice-patrons or presidents, which will ensure a smooth transition."

The history of Hezbollah, from Israel to Syria

In July 2006, long-standing tensions flared into war when Hezbollah operators crossed into Israel, killed three soldiers and abducted two others. Israel responded with a furious spate of air strikes on Lebanon, where Hezbollah is based, and violence soon swept the country, less than two decades after the population had emerged from its own civil war.

That summer, conflict between the two sides ripped through Lebanon's recovering infrastructure and displaced almost a quarterof its people.
Israel has launched wars on Lebanon and Hezbollah many times, often in the southern swath of land that Israel carved out of the country and deemed a security zone during its long occupation throughout the 1980s and 90s. 
The zone, which at one point grew to 10 percent of Lebanese territory, endured past the end of Lebanon's civil war and generated frequent, bloody confrontations. Before Israel withdrew in 2000, Hezbollah carried out a dozen "self-martyrdom missions" on Israeli military targets; in 1996, the Israeli army launched a campaign that led to the massacre of civilians at a United Nations base in Qana. 
Compared with the hostile decades of the security zone, the summer war was a short blip on the historical record: 33 days of destruction that punctuated each side's longer struggle against the simple fact of the other's existence.
Both Israel and Hezbollah claimed 2006 as a victory at first, yet it was clear that for Hezbollah the gains extended beyond the war zone's borders. Across the Arab world, citizens had been watching from afar as Israel's bombing of bridges and shelters locked Lebanese communities into a grinding summer siege.
In the book Hezbollah: A Short History, scholar Augustus Richard Norton notes how outrage quickly spread over Israel's military approach, termed the Dahiya doctrine for the neighbourhoods that Israel flattened across Lebanon's south. By late July, angry demonstrations were mushrooming across Egypt. 
In Syria and Palestine, posters, bumper stickers and keychains blared strong messages of support for Hezbollah's soldiers. The group had become a regional anti-hero, exiting the war with a newfound cache of sympathy across the region.
"After the war in 2006, Hezbollah reached the peak of its popularity,"said Amer Sabaileh, a political analyst from the Washington-based Middle East Media and Policy Studies Institute. "[It] had the consensus of people when it came to resistance, credibility and speaking the truth."
Yet today, Hezbollah is in flux. Once a champion of Palestinian and Lebanese resistance, the group's popularity in the Middle East hovers at a new low due to its association with Bashar al-Assad's embattled regime in Syria. In a 2015 Zogby poll, 96 percent of Egyptians agreedthat Hezbollah has contributed to growing regional extremism. 
Other Arab countries have joined the chorus of disapproval, with 86 percent of polled Jordanians holding a negative view of Hezbollah.
As Hezbollah wages its new, more unpopular war in Syria, Lebanon's past summer conflict is once again surfacing to political relevance. Last July, a Hezbollah-affiliated TV channel released a documentary titled 2006 about the group's war against Israel. The series showed never-before-seen footage of Hezbollah operations, as well as interviews with high-ranking Israeli officials who were apparently tricked into appearing on camera.
Political forces often turn to the past to sow legitimacy. For Hezbollah, the documentary harkens back to a point in time when the group enjoyed widespread legitimacy, and its violence could be framed in easier, Arab v Israeli terms. 
According to Sahar Atrache, the International Crisis Group's senior Lebanon analyst, Hezbollah has always worked to knit tenuous associations between the legitimacy it garnered in 2006, and its current, more polarising involvement in Syria.
"From the beginning, Hezbollah has tried to link the fight in Syria to Israel," she said. "It has kept saying that Syria's part of the same axis of resistance to Israel, and that the aim of the war in Syria  is a continuation of the war of 2006. Hezbollah keeps constantly going back to Israel; it's something that's very recurrent in its speeches and party narrative."
For so long, Hezbollah has set its legitimacy against the backdrop of Israel's regional unpopularity. Today, however, the group is seeing its resources drained by Syria's war, and is in need of a new raison d'etre to bolster this costly involvement. It will be the responsibility of the enigmatic Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah to deliver.
Nasrallah is a polarising figure. For many, he possesses an undeniable reserve of charisma, despite his leading role in what several international bodies have classified as a terrorist organisation. 
Born one of nine children, Nasrallah's early childhood in East Beirut is cloaked in political mythology. He is said to have been pious from an early age, often taking long walks to the city centre to find second-hand books on Islam. Nasrallah himself has described how his childhood free time was spent staring reverently at a portrait of the famous Shia cleric Musa al-Sadr - a pastime that foreshadowed his future concern with politics and Shia communities in Lebanon.
In 1974, Sadr founded an organisation - the Movement of the Deprived - that became the ideological kernel for the well-known Lebanese party and Hezbollah rival, Amal. Grown into a political heavyweight in the 1980s, Amal mined support from middle-class Shia who had grown frustrated with the sect's historic marginalisation in Lebanon. Besides commandeering an anti-establishment message, Amal also provided stable income to many Shia families, unfurling a complex system of patronage across Lebanon's south.
After the outbreak of civil war between Lebanon's Christian Maronites and Muslims, Nasrallah joined Amal's movement and fought with its militia. But as the conflict progressed, Amal adopted a staunchly unsympathetic stance towards the presence of Palestinian militias in Lebanon, and it was from opposition to this sentiment that Hezbollah emerged. 
Nourished by a steady lifeline of Iranian military support, Hezbollah's revolutionary ideology attracted many Amal defectors, among them a young Nasrallah, fresh out of his stay at a Shia seminary in Iraq. By 1985, Hezbollah had crystallised its own dogma in a founding document, which addressed the "downtrodden of Lebanon" and named the Ayatollah Khomeini of Iran as its one true leader.
Throughout the civil war, Hezbollah and Amal evolved in bitter tandem, often jostling with each other for support among Lebanon's Shia constituents. As Norton notes in his book, political alliances in Lebanon's Shia communities have never been rigid. Personal allegiances change over the course of a lifetime; families often become messy sites of overlap, with members of the same household supporting different groups. Indeed, Nasrallah's brother, Hussein, has been a lifelong member of Amal.
Championing the Palestinian cause as its own, Hezbollah expanded during the Lebanese civil war under a shadow of kidnappings, hijackings and violence. The group abducted dozens of foreigners and leveraged them in complex negotiations that muddled their interests with Iran's. It drove bomb-laden trucks to US targets in Lebanon, and killed hundreds of people, both abroad and at home: Until 9/11, Hezbollah had taken more American lives than any other US-deemed terrorist groups.