The Queen was left "disappointed" that Theresa May declined to reveal details about her Brexit plans, it is claimed today.
The Times has revelations from a "source close to the monarch" that the Prime Minister stuck rigidly to her message that "Brexit means Brexit", when they spent the weekend together.
Mrs May was invited to Balmoral in September for the first time, and the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were said to have been looking forward to hearing her private thoughts on the subject.
But the Prime Minister - who visited the Scottish estate with her husband Philip - apparently revealed no more in private than she has during her public appearances.
The account suggests their relationship did not get off to an ideal start, although a newspaper report at the time suggested the two women "got on famously" - and share an interest in outdoor pursuits.
Neither Buckingham Palace nor Downing Street would comment on the report.
A palace spokeswoman said: "By long-established convention we never disclose details of discussions between the Queen and her prime ministers. Nor would we comment on anonymously sourced conjecture of this kind."
Behind the scenes however is irritation at the report, with one source insisting it was not representative of Mrs May's conversations with the monarch during her two-day stay in Scotland.
The visit - an annual fixture for prime ministers - came just two months after Mrs May entered No 10 following the resignation of David Cameron in the wake of the Brexit vote.
Although she had attended regular weekly audiences with the Queen it was the first occasion the two women had spent an extended period of time together.
Mrs May has frustrated some MPs by refusing to offer "a running commentary" on Brexit. At an appearance before a Commons committee this week she refused to directly answer a string of questions.
The Queen is said to be a keen observer of the political scene, and previous Prime Ministers have spoken of how they confided in her about difficult decisions.
Her private views are a source of fascination, although a report earlier this year the Queen vented her frustration at Brussels during a private lunch with ministers was slapped down by the Palace.
However during the Scottish referendum in 2014 the Queen expressed hopes that Scots would "think very carefully about the future" - a comment which was taken to show her support for the Union.
A biography of the Prime Minister alleged that she and David Cameron had a "strained" breakfast on the morning that a poll put the independence side one point ahead.
Friday, December 23, 2016
German police holds suspects in shopping mall attack plot
German police have arrested two men suspected of planning an attack on a shopping mall – just days after a terror attack at a Berlin Christmas market.
The suspects, two brothers aged 28 and 31 who were born in Kosovo, were arrested in Duisburg in the industrial Ruhr region in the early hours of Friday.
They are suspected of plotting to strike the Centro mall in nearby Oberhausen, in the West German state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Extra police were at the shopping centre and the nearby Christmas market on Thursday evening, according to reports.
Authorities are probing how far along the suspected attack plan was and whether anyone else was involved.
It was not clear if there was any connection with Monday's attack, when a lorry ploughed into a busy Christmas market in Berlin, killing 12 people and injuring another 48.
Police have been hunting for a Tunisian suspect, identified as Anis Amri, whose fingerprints were found inside the truck.
On Friday, Italian sources said he had been shot dead in Milan.
The suspects, two brothers aged 28 and 31 who were born in Kosovo, were arrested in Duisburg in the industrial Ruhr region in the early hours of Friday.
They are suspected of plotting to strike the Centro mall in nearby Oberhausen, in the West German state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Extra police were at the shopping centre and the nearby Christmas market on Thursday evening, according to reports.
Authorities are probing how far along the suspected attack plan was and whether anyone else was involved.
It was not clear if there was any connection with Monday's attack, when a lorry ploughed into a busy Christmas market in Berlin, killing 12 people and injuring another 48.
Police have been hunting for a Tunisian suspect, identified as Anis Amri, whose fingerprints were found inside the truck.
On Friday, Italian sources said he had been shot dead in Milan.
Berlin attack suspect shot dead in Italy, reports say
The Berlin attack suspect has been killed in a shootout with police in Milan, Italian security sources say.
Anis Amri, a 24-year-old Tunisian, has eluded capture since the attack on Monday that killed 12 people and injured another 48.
Italian reports say a man was killed in the shootout near the train station in Milan after he was stopped by police on a routine patrol. The Italian interior minister will hold a news conference later in the morning.
The reports said the man pulled out a gun after he was stopped and shouted "Allahu Akbar", or "God is Great" in the firefight.
Earlier, Danish police said a man matching his description was seen in Aalborg, about 450 miles north of the German capital.
Police in the North Jutland region said the man was between 20 and 30 years of age, with a black beard, and was wearing a black knitted hat and glasses, and carrying a black shoulder bag.
Police urged people to stay away from the area as officers have an ongoing operation there.
Authorities in Germany and elsewhere have been hunting for Amri, who is believed to be the driver of the truck that rammed through the crowd of shoppers at the market.
It comes after footage emerged showing Amri at a Berlin mosque just hours after the attack.
The video, published by German public broadcaster RBB, was taken by police officers on a regular stake-out at the mosque, but Amri was not a suspect at that time.
Anis Amri, a 24-year-old Tunisian, has eluded capture since the attack on Monday that killed 12 people and injured another 48.
Italian reports say a man was killed in the shootout near the train station in Milan after he was stopped by police on a routine patrol. The Italian interior minister will hold a news conference later in the morning.
The reports said the man pulled out a gun after he was stopped and shouted "Allahu Akbar", or "God is Great" in the firefight.
Earlier, Danish police said a man matching his description was seen in Aalborg, about 450 miles north of the German capital.
Police in the North Jutland region said the man was between 20 and 30 years of age, with a black beard, and was wearing a black knitted hat and glasses, and carrying a black shoulder bag.
Police urged people to stay away from the area as officers have an ongoing operation there.
Authorities in Germany and elsewhere have been hunting for Amri, who is believed to be the driver of the truck that rammed through the crowd of shoppers at the market.
It comes after footage emerged showing Amri at a Berlin mosque just hours after the attack.
The video, published by German public broadcaster RBB, was taken by police officers on a regular stake-out at the mosque, but Amri was not a suspect at that time.
Thursday, December 22, 2016
'IS-inspired' Melbourne Christmas Day terror plot foiled
A plot to attack prominent sites in Melbourne with a series of bombs on Christmas Day has been foiled by Australian security services.
Five men, aged between 21 and 26, are being held over the alleged plot, which has been described as "an imminent terrorist event" inspired by Islamic State.
Victoria state Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said four of those being held were born in Australia and the fifth was Egyptian-born with Egyptian and Australian citizenship.
He added: "Certainly (there was the) potential for quite a number of people to be injured or killed in this attack."
Australian Federal Police Commissioner Andrew Colvin said: "We do believe ... that we have removed this threat in its entirety."
The plot targeted high-profile locations in Australia's second largest city, including Federation Square, Flinders Street Station and St Paul's Cathedral "possibly on Christmas Day".
Two other people arrested in raids on Thursday night and Friday morning in Melbourne - a 26-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman - have been released without charge.
Several teenagers have been arrested in Australia in recent years and charged with terror-related offences, including five young men who police alleged were planning an attack at last year's centenary ANZAC Day commemorations.
Five men, aged between 21 and 26, are being held over the alleged plot, which has been described as "an imminent terrorist event" inspired by Islamic State.
Victoria state Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said four of those being held were born in Australia and the fifth was Egyptian-born with Egyptian and Australian citizenship.
He added: "Certainly (there was the) potential for quite a number of people to be injured or killed in this attack."
Australian Federal Police Commissioner Andrew Colvin said: "We do believe ... that we have removed this threat in its entirety."
The plot targeted high-profile locations in Australia's second largest city, including Federation Square, Flinders Street Station and St Paul's Cathedral "possibly on Christmas Day".
Two other people arrested in raids on Thursday night and Friday morning in Melbourne - a 26-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman - have been released without charge.
Several teenagers have been arrested in Australia in recent years and charged with terror-related offences, including five young men who police alleged were planning an attack at last year's centenary ANZAC Day commemorations.
'You can't let terrorists win,' visitors say as Christmas market reopens
Visitors are slowly returning to the Breitscheidplatz Christmas market in Berlin, saying they are determined not to "let terrorists win".
The tourist attraction has reopened following the lorry massacre which killed 12 people and injured dozens more on Monday evening.
After standing empty for three days, stalls are picking up trade and the familiar sounds and smells of sizzling Bratwurst sausages and sweet gluhwein linger in the air once again.
:: Armed police carry out raids as suspect sought
"You have to strike a balance between protection and freedom," says Amy Duricka, a US-born journalist who has lived in Germany for the past 20 years.
"And there is a need for freedom, freedom to walk wherever you want - that's important.
"Opening the market is one of those simple things; despite the security measures in place we're going to continue to live our lives."
:: Berlin suspect's brother: 'Turn yourself in'
The markets are less popular with Germans than they are with British people and tourists of other nationalities, many of whom travelled to Germany in the run-up to Christmas.
Londoner Robyn Greene, visiting Berlin for a few days, said the attack had not put her off.
"You can't let the terrorists win," she said. "And if you cancel plans and stay in your hotel room, then they have won.
"It's heartening to see the market reopening and I think it shows a huge amount of courage."
Despite the efforts to return to business as usual, the marks left by the atrocity remain.
Candles and flowers have been left at a memorial to the victims, while surrounding the market is a ring of concrete blocks that have been lowered on to the pavement to prevent any further attacks.
The market is open again - but it is a very different place.
Investigation launched after mass unrest at Swaleside jail
A police investigation has been opened into a mass "disturbance" at a prison in Kent.
Some 60 inmates took control of a landing on a wing at HMP Swaleside at 7pm on Thursday, prompting the dispatch of a specialist "Tornado" squad trained in advanced control and restraint techniques.
During the unrest fires were lit at the Isle of Sheppey jail, according to the Prison Officers Association.
The Prison Service said that those involved in the incident "surrendered and were back in cells by 1am with no injuries to staff or prisoners".

Video:'Disturbance' at Swaleside prison
In a statement it added that Justice Secretary Liz Truss "is committed to making sure our prisons are stable while we deliver wholescale reforms to the prison estate to help offenders turn their lives around and reduce reoffending".
:: British prisons: Five major incidents in 12 months
The disturbance comes a week after a riot at HMP Birmingham that involved up to 600 prisoners and was described by experts as the worst for 25 years.
Riot officers managed to win back control of the jail after 12 hours of violence in which inmates set fires and stole keys and equipment.
Image Caption:HMP Swaleside is part of a cluster that includes HMP Elmley and HMP Standford Hill
The Swaleside incident is the fourth disturbance at an English prison in less than two months.
A damning report this year by the Chief Inspector of Prisons called HMP Swaleside "dangerous" and said levels of violence were "far too high".
Many staff were also "demotivated and overwhelmed", with half of the prisoners claiming it was "easy or very easy" to get drugs.
The Ministry of Justice has announced plans to recruit 2,500 extra prison officers to make jails safer and crack down on the use of drugs and phones, which are increasingly being dropped using drones.
Image Caption:Inmates went on the rampage last week at HMP Birmingham
A task force has also been set up to "manage down potential flashpoints of unrest".
But the Prison Officers Association says it will be difficult to retain and recruit people given existing levels of pay and conditions inside jails.
It says prison officer numbers have fallen by 7,000 since 2010.
The POA's Mike Rolfe told Sky News: "We were warning then it wouldn't be safe and wouldn't take long before things started to fall apart and we're seeing that now."
Some 60 inmates took control of a landing on a wing at HMP Swaleside at 7pm on Thursday, prompting the dispatch of a specialist "Tornado" squad trained in advanced control and restraint techniques.
During the unrest fires were lit at the Isle of Sheppey jail, according to the Prison Officers Association.
The Prison Service said that those involved in the incident "surrendered and were back in cells by 1am with no injuries to staff or prisoners".
Video:'Disturbance' at Swaleside prison
In a statement it added that Justice Secretary Liz Truss "is committed to making sure our prisons are stable while we deliver wholescale reforms to the prison estate to help offenders turn their lives around and reduce reoffending".
:: British prisons: Five major incidents in 12 months
The disturbance comes a week after a riot at HMP Birmingham that involved up to 600 prisoners and was described by experts as the worst for 25 years.
Riot officers managed to win back control of the jail after 12 hours of violence in which inmates set fires and stole keys and equipment.
The Swaleside incident is the fourth disturbance at an English prison in less than two months.
A damning report this year by the Chief Inspector of Prisons called HMP Swaleside "dangerous" and said levels of violence were "far too high".
Many staff were also "demotivated and overwhelmed", with half of the prisoners claiming it was "easy or very easy" to get drugs.
The Ministry of Justice has announced plans to recruit 2,500 extra prison officers to make jails safer and crack down on the use of drugs and phones, which are increasingly being dropped using drones.
A task force has also been set up to "manage down potential flashpoints of unrest".
But the Prison Officers Association says it will be difficult to retain and recruit people given existing levels of pay and conditions inside jails.
It says prison officer numbers have fallen by 7,000 since 2010.
The POA's Mike Rolfe told Sky News: "We were warning then it wouldn't be safe and wouldn't take long before things started to fall apart and we're seeing that now."
Severe warnings as UK braces itself for arrival of Storm Barbara
Britain is braced for the arrival of Storm Barbara, which is expected to bring winds of up to 90mph to some parts of the country.
The Met Office has issued severe weather warnings for much of the UK, with Scotland expected to bear the brunt of the storm.
An amber "be prepared" wind warning is in place for northern and western parts of Scotland for Friday afternoon, evening and overnight into Christmas Eve.
Two separate yellow "be aware" wind warnings are in also place, while flood alerts have been issued for the Highlands and Western Isles, as well as Skye and the Scottish Borders.
The Scottish Government said it is being regularly updated on the expected impact on travel across the country.
Meanwhile, Scotrail has withdrawn a small number of services and placed speed restrictions on others as a safety precaution.
South of the border, councils were said to be "fully prepared" for the onset of harsh conditions over Christmas.
The Local Government Association, which represents hundreds of councils in England and Wales, said it was issuing renewed advice on how to deal with flash floods.
Environment spokesman Martin Tett said: "Councils are fully prepared to protect residents and minimise disruption caused by Storm Barbara and other potential bad weather such as snow and flooding.
"Council staff will be out in force clearing roads of any debris and damage."
Storm Barbara's arrival comes on what is expected to be the busiest day for traffic over the festive period.
The AA predicts about 12 million cars will be on the roads due to a combination of people visiting loved ones, shopping trips and holidaymakers, as well as those travelling to and from work.
An amber "be prepared" wind warning is in place for northern and western parts of Scotland for Friday afternoon, evening and overnight into Christmas Eve.
Two separate yellow "be aware" wind warnings are in also place, while flood alerts have been issued for the Highlands and Western Isles, as well as Skye and the Scottish Borders.
The Scottish Government said it is being regularly updated on the expected impact on travel across the country.
Meanwhile, Scotrail has withdrawn a small number of services and placed speed restrictions on others as a safety precaution.
South of the border, councils were said to be "fully prepared" for the onset of harsh conditions over Christmas.
The Local Government Association, which represents hundreds of councils in England and Wales, said it was issuing renewed advice on how to deal with flash floods.
Environment spokesman Martin Tett said: "Councils are fully prepared to protect residents and minimise disruption caused by Storm Barbara and other potential bad weather such as snow and flooding.
"Council staff will be out in force clearing roads of any debris and damage."
Storm Barbara's arrival comes on what is expected to be the busiest day for traffic over the festive period.
The AA predicts about 12 million cars will be on the roads due to a combination of people visiting loved ones, shopping trips and holidaymakers, as well as those travelling to and from work.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
