Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 25, 2016

WWII bomb forces mass Christmas evacuation in German city

Authorities in the German city of Augsburg have evacuated more than 54,000 people from their homes while a giant 1.8-tonne bomb from World War II is defused.

Officials have sealed off the city's medieval cathedral and city hall.

The evacuation affects some 32,000 households in the centre and involves some 4,000 police and firefighters, according to the German broadcaster Deutsche Welle.

The evacuation is one of the biggest in Germany, where it is not unusual to find bombs from the war.

In 2011, about 45,000 people were evacuated to remove a bomb in Koblenz.

Augsburg officials have kept some schools open for evacuees who cannot stay with family or friends.

Pets will be allowed and public transport is free.

Police say it was impossible to say exactly how long it would take to make the bomb safe.

Augsburg, in Bavaria in the south of Germany, was heavily bombed during the war, and large parts of the city were destroyed on 25-26 February 1944, when the city was attacked by hundreds of British and US bombers.

Israel summons 14 ambassadors after UN settlement vote

Israel has summoned the ambassadors of UN Security Council member states that voted in favour of a resolution condemning settlement activity, a foreign ministry spokesman said.

By way of rebuke of the vote, Israel's Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman also announced on Sunday that Israel was cutting civilian coordination with Palestinians.

Foreign ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon said that the 14 envoys of UN Security Council members will visit the ministry in Jerusalem throughout the day. The United States envoy was not summoned.

The Council passed the measureon Friday after the US abstained, enabling the adoption of the first resolution since 1979 to condemn Israel over its settlement policy.

The resolution demands "Israel immediately and completely cease all settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territory, including east Jerusalem".

It says settlements have "no legal validity" and are "dangerously imperilling the viability of the two-state solution."

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who had rejected the resolution as a "shameful blow against Israel", repeated on Sunday the Israeli claim that US President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry were behind the resolution.

"We have no doubt that the Obama administration initiated it, stood behind it, coordinated the drafts and demanded to pass it," Netanyahu said at the beginning of the weekly cabinet meeting.

"This is of course in total contradiction to the traditional American policy of not trying to impose conditions of a final resolution. And, of course, the explicit committment of President Obama himself in 2011 to avoid such measures."

While the resolution contains no sanctions, Israeli officials are concerned it could widen the possibility of prosecution at the International Criminal Court.

They are also worried it could encourage some countries to impose sanctions against Israeli settlers and goods produced in the settlements.

Earlier on Sunday, army radio reported that Lieberman ordered Israeli security establishment to cease to all cooperation on civilian matters with the Palestinians, while retaining security coordination.

Israeli officials refused to comment on the report.

The measures taken on Sunday join Netanyahu's order to review engagements at the United Nations, including funding for UN agencies and the presence of its representatives in Israel.

Rightwing Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said on Saturday night that Israel should "announce a full annexation of settlement blocs" in response to the resolution.

Education Minister Naftali Bennett of the far-right Jewish Home told army radio that his party would "soon propose a bill to annex Maale Adumim", a settlement city east of Jerusalem.

UK could experience warmest Christmas Day on record ahead of Storm Conor

Mild temperatures could make it the warmest Christmas Day on record, forecasters say.

Areas in the South are expected to reach 15C (59F), pushing close to the record of 15.6C (60F) registered in Devon in 1920.

But while parts of England will be bathed in sunshine, there could be snow in northern Scotland and bookmakers have cut the odds on a white Christmas.

The contrasting weather is the result of Storm Conor, which is pulling mild air behind it as it approaches the north of the UK.

The latest storm will follow Storm Barbara, which caused travel disruption and power cuts in the north of Scotland on Friday.

The Met Office has issued 11 weather warnings for Boxing Day.

The most serious are in place for the Highlands, Orkney and Shetland, where winds could reach 90mph.

Those areas were the worst hit by Storm Barbara, which cut power to more than 25,000 homes.

Met Office meteorologist Chris Page said: "Because of the wind direction from the southwest, Storm Conor brings up some milder air which means temperatures will only drop to lows of 9 (48F) and 10C (50F), making it a very mild start to Christmas day.

"We'll see some clearer, drier spells in Scotland but the sunshine will be in the south and with southwesterly winds dragging up more mild air we could even see some records broken.

"It could maybe reach 15C which could make it the warmest Christmas day of record in the last 100 years.

"For Scotland though, we could still see a touch of snow."

Scotland's Transport Minister Humza Yousaf has chaired a meeting of the Scottish Government's resilience committee to prepare for the impacts of Storm Conor.

He said: "The worst of Storm Conor is once again expected to affect the north of Scotland, the Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland, bringing heavy rain and winds of up to 90mph.

"I can assure the travelling public that our transport operators and trunk road operating companies are working hard to keep services and roads running.

"However, safety is always our top priority, so we are seeing likely to see disruption to ferries and possibly flights to the islands. It is important to remember that operators do not cancel services lightly."

Under-pressure Trump to dissolve charitable foundation


US President-elect Donald Trump says he will be dissolving his philanthropic foundation - the Donald J Trump Foundation - to avoid conflicts of interest once he takes over at the White House.

However, the move has been dismissed by the attorney general office which, in a statement released to US media on Saturday, said Trump could not yet close the foundation because it was still under investigation by New York attorney general Eric Schneiderman.

"The Trump Foundation is still under investigation by this office and cannot legally dissolve until that investigation is complete," Schneiderman spokeswoman Amy Spitalnick said.

Trump's portfolio of US and overseas business interests and holdings, as well as his his philanthropic foundation, have come under increased scrutiny since his election.

"The foundation has done enormous good work over the years in contributing millions of dollars to countless worthy groups, including supporting veterans, law enforcement officers and children," Trump said in a statement.

"However, to avoid even the appearance of any conflict with my role as president I have decided to continue to pursue my strong interest in philanthropy in other ways."

His private foundation has been at the centre of several controversies - including how much money he has actually given it - and is under investigation.

A Washington Post investigation in June said Trump had given just a fraction of the money he had promised to charity, and it was only after public pressure that he made good on a pledge to cough up $1m to a nonprofit group for veterans.

His move to close the foundation comes amid intense criticism of Trump's ethics and transparency choices on the way into the White House.

Trump has pledged to disclose his tax returns but has yet to follow through. He says they are being audited.

On December 15, he was scheduled to hold a news conference to announce plans for his business during his four-year term in office, but it was postponed to an undetermined date in January.

So far the 70-year-old billionaire has said only that his two adult sons, Donald Jr and Eric, would take over and that the company would do no new deals while he serves as president.

Saturday, December 24, 2016

India to build statue twice the size of the Statue of Liberty

India is to build the world's tallest statue - twice the size of the Statue of Liberty.

The proposed 630ft (192 metre) statue of Shivaji, a 16th century ruler from western India, will be built off the coast of Mumbai.

The construction - on land reclaimed from the Arabian Sea - is due to be completed in 2019.

The country's Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the project, expected to cost of 36bn rupees (£430m).

The statue will be more than 100ft higher than the current tallest monument - a 503ft Buddha in Henan province, China.

But the project has attracted significant criticism.

More than 29,000 people have signed a petition asking the government to spend the money on infrastructure and development instead.

"Apart from a waste of money, this statue is going to be terrible for the environment, for the traffic situation in South Bombay and a security nightmare," the Change.org petition said.

It is not the first time a large amount of money has been spent on a statue in India.

In 2014, after Prime Minister Modi was sworn into office, the government set aside £27m in its national budget for building memorials.

Projects currently under way, including one in the Prime Minister's home state of Gujarat, have exceeded their budget ten-fold.

Russian jet carrying 91 including famous military band crashes near Sochi

A Russian military jet with 91 people on board has crashed shortly after take-off near Sochi, the Defence ministry said.

The ministry said the plane was carrying the famous Alexandrov military band for a concert at the Russian air base in Syria.

The missing aircraft is a Tu-154, a Soviet-designed three-engine airliner.

It disappeared minutes after take-off over the Black Sea.

Russia's RIA news agency, citing an unidentified security source, said preliminary data indicated the plane had crashed because of a technical malfunction.

It was not immediately possible to verify that report.

The plane had departed at 5:40am local time (0240 GMT) from Adler, south of the Black Sea resort city of Sochi.

It was conducting a routine flight to Russia's Hmeimim airbase outside the coastal Syrian city of Latakia, the ministry said.

Search and rescue groups have now found the crash site, close to the coast, it is being reported.

The Defence Ministry said that there were 83 passengers and eight crew on board.

Israel hits back after UN resolution condemns settlements

Israel has hit back at the US after it allowed a vote to pass in the UN Security Council demanding an end to the building of settlements on occupied territory.

The vote was the first since 1979 to condemn Israel's settlement policy as, previously, the US had shielded its ally from such resolutions by using its veto power.

America also gives more than $3bn (£2.4bn) a year in defence aid to Israel but, under the Obama administration, it has become frustrated with continued settlement building in the West Bank, which Israel has occupied for nearly 50 years.

A statement from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said: "Israel rejects this shameful anti-Israel resolution at the UN and will not abide by its terms.

"The Obama administration not only failed to protect Israel against this gang-up at the UN, it colluded with it behind the scenes."

The US move was seen by some as a parting shot from Barack Obama to his successor Donald Trump, just weeks before the latter's inauguration.

Mr Trump had earlier joined with Mr Netanyahu in urging the Obama administration to veto the resolution as it was presented by Egypt.

The President-elect had written on social media that peace between the Israelis and Palestinians "will only come through direct negotiations between the parties and not through the imposition of terms by the United Nations".

He had added the resolution "puts Israel in a very poor negotiating position and is extremely unfair to all Israelis".

That draft was put on hold but it made a reappearance with sponsorship from New Zealand, Malaysia, Senegal and Venezuela.

It was this resolution that was passed 14 to zero with the help of the US's shock abstention.

The US ambassador to the UN Samantha Power said: "We cannot stand in the way of this resolution as we seek to preserve a chance of attaining our longstanding objective of two states living side by side in peace and security.

"The settlement problem has gotten so much worse that it is now putting at risk the very viability of that two-state solution."

Israel has also responded by re-calling its ambassadors to New Zealand and Senegal, although it does not have diplomatic relationships with Malaysia or Venezuela.

Israel may fare better with the next US administration, however.

Donald Trump, who is just weeks away from his inauguration, had wanted the US to veto the resolution and tweeted after the vote: "As to the U.N., things will be different after Jan. 20th."

The incoming president has already signalled a possible change in US policy by appointing one his lawyers - a fundraiser for a major Israeli settlement - as Washington's new ambassador to Israel.