Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 25, 2016

York Minster bells silent at Christmas for first time in 600 years

York Minster's bells fell silent on Christmas Day for the first time in more than 600 years after the bell-ringing team was disbanded following a row over the reinstatement of one of their group.


Visitors at the cathedral have been warned to expect a silent Christmas period after the Minster's 30-strong ringing group was sacked in October.


Ringers had refused to accept the decision not to reinstate a member who had been suspended following a police investigation into allegations of sex offences against children, which did not lead to a prosecution.


Another group of campanologists from Leeds were asked to fill the gap but reportedly refused to help out in solidarity with their sacked colleagues.


The member has not been named by the Minster's Chapter, but is understood to be David Potter - who was awarded an MBE for his services to bell-ringing and has never been convicted of any offence.


Mr Potter was the subject of a police investigation in 1999, which was reviewed again in 2014, but he was never charged.


The Chapter of York Minster ordered a detailed risk assessment of Mr Potter's activities and ruled he "presented an ongoing risk and that the potential severity of the risk meant they could not be reinstated".


It added that the bell ringers refused to accept the decision and so had to be disbanded.


Colin Byrne, a solicitor acting for Mr Potter, said in October: "Mr Potter has no cautions or convictions or any civil findings ever made against him.


"Issues surrounding the bell ringers and the Minster is a private and confidential matter between those two parties but the process that he has been subject to has shown a disregard for due process and equally the treatment of his fellow bell-ringers."


The Dean of York Minster, Vivienne Faull, and the Archbishop of York Dr John Sentamu, who supported the decision, were both in attendance at the service on Christmas Day.

Chile hit by powerful 7.7 magnitude earthquake

Thousands of people were evacuated from coastal areas in Chile after a 7.7 magnitude earthquake triggered a tsunami warning.

Around 4,000 people were ordered to leave towns on the south coast after the quake struck 25 miles south west of Puerto Quellon on the southern part of Chiloe island.

In the immediate aftermath of the quake, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, in Hawaii, warned "hazardous tsunamic waves are forecast for some coasts."

However, the warning was downgraded to a watch but people were still told to stay away from the beaches.

The powerful quake ripped up part of a major road near Lake Tarahuin, however Chile's National Emergency Office said there were no immediate reports of deaths or injuries.

Chile's National Emergency Office chief Ricardo Toro had called on residents of Los Lagos to abandon beaches and go to safe zones.

Taxi driver Luis Ramirez, who lives in the town of Ancud, said he was washing his car when the quake struck. He said: "I'm 48 years old and I've never felt anything so strong."

He said cars equipped with loudspeakers were patrolling the beaches telling people to evacuate to higher areas.

The quake struck at a depth of 22 miles and was felt in the Argentine city of Bariloche.

Chile has a long history of deadly quakes, including one measuring 8.8 magnitude in 2010 off the south-central coast, which triggered a tsunami that devastated several coastal towns and left 525 people dead.

That quake was so powerful it led to tsunami warnings in 53 countries and a "state of catastrophe" was declared.

Last year an 8.3 tremor caused a tsunami in the north of the country which killed 15 people.

Apple's tax war with the EU

Technology giant Apple and the Republic of Ireland are gearing up for a major legal tussle with the European Union's Competition Commission in 2017.

In August, Ireland was ordered to collect $13.6bn in alleged unpaid tax from the iPhone maker. This week, Ireland blasted EU regulators. The government said they were interfering with national sovereignty and attempting to rewrite Irish tax law.

Jim Clarken, CEO of Oxfam Ireland, offers his take on what could be the world's biggest tax dispute when it hits the courts in 2017 and the implications it could have for multi-national companies.

"We know that Apple and other multinationals that are operating in Ireland are providing quality jobs and paying taxation on those parts of the work that they do here. But, we also estimate there are $93bn of excess profits being booked in Ireland every year by various companies and being moved through Ireland. So ultimately, that part of the tax puzzle is one that affects other parts of the world. That's why getting this global tax system right is essential for citizens everywhere and this is an indication that there are problems in the global tax situation. They've been highlighted in this case and its being pursued for those reasons," says Clarken.

According to Clarken, Oxfam is calling for a global tax body, overseen by the UN, that will tackle a number of issues, because, "one of the biggest problems we have in the global tax system currently is a complete lack of transparency, so it's not clear where taxes are being paid, and where profits are being booked, and where real economic activity is taking place. And that is essential for all countries, so there's a sense of fairness in the tax system, that multinationals are taxed fairly and correctly, and the citizens in different places where that revenue should go to benefit from that."

Also on this episode of Counting the Cost:

Christine Lagarde's guilty sentence: Earlier this week, a French court found Christine Lagarde, the managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), guilty on of criminal charges linked to the misuse of public funds when she was France's finance minister nearly a decade ago. But the court did not impose a fine or a sentence. Natacha Butler reports from Paris.

India's growth prospects for 2017: India's economy has sped ahead of the UK's's for the first time in over a century, due to the slump in the value of British sterling versus the US dollar. While global rankings are looking up for India, its people are suffering on the ground, because of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's controversial decision to demonitise the 500 and 1,000 rupee bank notes. Is this due to Brexit or is the Indian economy actually surpassing that of the UK's? And what does this mean for bilateral trade post-Brexit? Gregor Irwin, chief economist at Global Counsel, looks at the impact of these developments.

The future of the supercar: Why is Lamborghini making a sports utility vehicle? Lamborghini's new CEO, Stefano Domenicali, discusses the long-term future of the supercar after a year which saw major changes in the automotive space.

Overcoming perceptions of disability: A young Guatemalan fashion designer with Down syndrome is challenging perceptions of the condition. Isabella Springmuhl's line of clothing and bags using hand-woven local fabrics is bringing her international attention and encourages people to look at her disability in a new way. David Mercer reports from Guatemala City.

Adelaide swelters through hottest Christmas in decades

Adelaide is having its hottest Christmas Day in decades and has become the hottest capital city in Australia.

The Bureau of Meteorology says the temperature in the South Australian city reached 41.3C (106.3F) at 3.50pm.

"The last time when we had about 40C on Christmas Day was in 1945 and the temperature back then was 40.1C, so we've broken that record," forecaster Kenneth Cheung told AAP.

Beach goers - in Adelaide and other parts of the country - posted pictures of themselves sunbathing and trying to cool off in the water as a heatwave affected large parts of southern and eastern Australia.

:: UK could see warmest Christmas Day ever

Melbourne recorded a maximum temperature of 36.3C, which was the hottest Christmas since 1998, according to local news reports.

In Sydney, with a comparatively mild 27.4C, many crowded the popular Bondi Beach outside Australia's largest city.

Earlier this month, Sydney sweltered through its hottest December night in 148 years: 27.1C on 14 December.

Queen misses Christmas church service for first time since 1988 due to cold

The Queen has not attended church at Sandringham because she is continuing to recover from a heavy cold, Buckingham Palace has said.

It is the first time since 1988 that she has missed the Christmas Day service.

"The Queen continues to recover from a heavy cold and will stay indoors to assist with her recovery," said a statement from the Palace.

"Her Majesty will participate in the Royal Family Christmas celebrations during the day."

:: Queen praises 'unsung heroes' in upbeat Christmas message

The Queen, who turned 90 in April, traditionally spends Christmas at Sandringham with her family.

On Wednesday, the Queen and Prince Philip delayed their train journey there because they both had heavy colds, but on Thursday the royal couple flew straight to Sandringham House by helicopter.

Hundreds of people have been gathering outside St Mary Magdalene Church at Sandringham on Christmas morning to watch the Royal Family arrive for the morning service.

Prince Philip, 95, walked with Prince Charles from Sandringham House to the church for a private mass at 9am - the first of the services the Royal Family attend.

Prince Harry was also at Sandringham, while the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children are spending Christmas with the Middleton family at their estate near Bucklebury in Berkshire.

William and Kate attended church service at Englefield Church with Prince George and Princess Charlotte.

It is only the second time the couple have stayed away from the tradition royal gathering since they married in 2011.

The other time was in 2012, shortly after Kate, then pregnant with George, was discharged from hospital having been treated for severe morning sickness.

The Queen, who is the world's longest-reigning living monarch, said on Tuesday she would reduce the number of her patronages.

WWII bomb forces mass Christmas evacuation in German city

Authorities in the German city of Augsburg have evacuated more than 54,000 people from their homes while a giant 1.8-tonne bomb from World War II is defused.

Officials have sealed off the city's medieval cathedral and city hall.

The evacuation affects some 32,000 households in the centre and involves some 4,000 police and firefighters, according to the German broadcaster Deutsche Welle.

The evacuation is one of the biggest in Germany, where it is not unusual to find bombs from the war.

In 2011, about 45,000 people were evacuated to remove a bomb in Koblenz.

Augsburg officials have kept some schools open for evacuees who cannot stay with family or friends.

Pets will be allowed and public transport is free.

Police say it was impossible to say exactly how long it would take to make the bomb safe.

Augsburg, in Bavaria in the south of Germany, was heavily bombed during the war, and large parts of the city were destroyed on 25-26 February 1944, when the city was attacked by hundreds of British and US bombers.

Israel summons 14 ambassadors after UN settlement vote

Israel has summoned the ambassadors of UN Security Council member states that voted in favour of a resolution condemning settlement activity, a foreign ministry spokesman said.

By way of rebuke of the vote, Israel's Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman also announced on Sunday that Israel was cutting civilian coordination with Palestinians.

Foreign ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon said that the 14 envoys of UN Security Council members will visit the ministry in Jerusalem throughout the day. The United States envoy was not summoned.

The Council passed the measureon Friday after the US abstained, enabling the adoption of the first resolution since 1979 to condemn Israel over its settlement policy.

The resolution demands "Israel immediately and completely cease all settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territory, including east Jerusalem".

It says settlements have "no legal validity" and are "dangerously imperilling the viability of the two-state solution."

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who had rejected the resolution as a "shameful blow against Israel", repeated on Sunday the Israeli claim that US President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry were behind the resolution.

"We have no doubt that the Obama administration initiated it, stood behind it, coordinated the drafts and demanded to pass it," Netanyahu said at the beginning of the weekly cabinet meeting.

"This is of course in total contradiction to the traditional American policy of not trying to impose conditions of a final resolution. And, of course, the explicit committment of President Obama himself in 2011 to avoid such measures."

While the resolution contains no sanctions, Israeli officials are concerned it could widen the possibility of prosecution at the International Criminal Court.

They are also worried it could encourage some countries to impose sanctions against Israeli settlers and goods produced in the settlements.

Earlier on Sunday, army radio reported that Lieberman ordered Israeli security establishment to cease to all cooperation on civilian matters with the Palestinians, while retaining security coordination.

Israeli officials refused to comment on the report.

The measures taken on Sunday join Netanyahu's order to review engagements at the United Nations, including funding for UN agencies and the presence of its representatives in Israel.

Rightwing Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said on Saturday night that Israel should "announce a full annexation of settlement blocs" in response to the resolution.

Education Minister Naftali Bennett of the far-right Jewish Home told army radio that his party would "soon propose a bill to annex Maale Adumim", a settlement city east of Jerusalem.