Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 4, 2017

'Hero' tried to distract Borough Market attackers from woman

A witness has told Sky News how he tried to distract terrorists at Borough Market as they stabbed a woman multiple times.

Gerard Vowles said he heard the attackers cry "This is for Allah" moments before they targeted the victim.

"She was going 'help me, help me' and screaming," he added.

"It was horrible. I felt helpless. I'm sad for that poor girl, what they did to her, and I wish I could have done more to help her."

Mr Vowles said he ran towards them to distract them from attacking the woman.

"They chased me, one of them did," he said.

"I nearly slipped over. I thought if I would have gone over, I would have been dead. They would have stabbed me, I would have been lying there, maybe 50 stab wounds."

:: LIVE - Latest updates on London Bridge terror

When another witness who was throwing bottles complimented Mr Vowles on his bravery, he responded that "all I was trying to do was get them to follow me to get them to the main road where the armed police were going".

"I'm hoping that she's alive because I want to go and see her in hospital so I can just say I tried my best to help you, I'm just glad you're alive," said Mr Vowles.

"When you see it on the news you feel sorry for the people, but when you see it in real life it's a totally different thing."

"It's the most evil thing I've ever seen in my life," he said.

:: The moment police took down terrorists

Image:People leave the area with their hands up after an incident near London Bridge in London, Pic: Reuters

An officer who was injured in the attack has been commended for his bravery by the head of the British Transport Police, after it emerged the policeman had confronted the attackers using only his baton.

Chief Constable Paul Crowther said: "Having visited the officer in hospital shortly after he was admitted for treatment, I was able to hear his account of what happened last night.

"It became clear that he showed enormous courage in the face of danger, as did many others who were at the scene and rushed to help.

"Although he is seriously unwell, he was able to recount how he faced the attackers armed only with his baton, outside London Bridge station.

"For an officer who only joined us less than two years ago, the bravery he showed was outstanding and makes me extremely proud."

Speaking after a COBRA meeting this morning, the Prime Minister said she would like to "thank and pay tribute" to the police and emergency services.

She also extended her thanks and tributes to "the courage of members of the public who defended themselves and others from the attackers."

:: May - We are 'too tolerant of extremism'

Image:Counter terrorism officers near London Bridge

Cressida Dick, the Commissioner for the Metropolitan Police, joined the PM in saying she had heard "truly remarkable stories of extraordinary brave actions by officers - on and off duty - who were first on the scene.

"I also heard of colleagues from other emergency services and members of the public who ran towards the danger as this incident unfolded.

"Many, many people risked their own safety to help others and to treat those seriously injured and indeed to confront the suspects involved.

"It is clear to me that the courage of those people during and following the attack was extraordinary," said the commissioner.

"I pay tribute to all of them who came to the aid of those in need during this dreadful attack and I am sure helped to save lives."

No comments:

Post a Comment